PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 476s vs Meg`s #16 and Pink Wax

Pages : [1] 2

efinirx7gt
07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Well I just want to get a feedback from those of you that have used all three. I`ve used #16 and Pink Wax, both were great but I liked the #16 a bit better as it had more depth. I see that many people on the board like Collinite 476 so I though I`ll give it a try but before I buy I just want to see if it worth getting as I already have #16 and PW.

mikebai1990
07-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Your choice depends on your needs. Are you looking for durability, shine, depth, etc...? I don`t have any experience with Pink Wax, so that you`ll need the other members to help you out. The #16 gives a nice shine and gives a good layer of protection compared to most other waxes. Collinite 476 is a bulletproof carnauba wax that gives you 5-7 months of protection even if it`s parked outside 24/7. It`s not a "beauty wax" according to autopians, but for durability (ex. in the winter) it would be my first choice by far. It gives a decent shine, but #16 would probably look better. Good luck!

imported_themightytimmah
07-20-2006, 01:06 PM
I love Pink Wax for looks, and the durability is nothing to scoff at. Opposite for #16 and 476, the durability is great and the looks are above average. All are "sealant-y" carnubas, but I`ve found Pink Wax to be the easiest on/off of the 3 using a Cyclo and finishing pads to apply and low-nap MF to remove. PW gives this beautiful "candy shell" look, here`s a good example of it:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/themightytimmah/img_2316.jpg

imported_Bence
07-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I used #16 only once at a Meguiar`s demo at the Geneva Motor Show in Switzerland. We used it on a perfectly prepped SS black Cobra 427 and I thought it wasn`t that special. It didn`t give much dimension to that paint on that particular car; it just looked okay. Didn`t buy it.

I use PW and 885 extensively and I am very satisfied with both of them. I am a great fan of the typical FK1 candy shell look and PW performs for me outstandingly. However I think 885 (476/238; same) has a way better appearance than assumed here. It has a special glowy softness but with well defined reflections. It shows the character lines, edges very well and works always reliably. True, it can be a little tough if you apply it thick, but with the correct amounts it is a friendly product. Definitely has a place in my arsenal.

Wasatch
07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
What`s the best way to apply Pink Wax?

imported_bpfoley
07-20-2006, 07:56 PM
I apply PW with a moist microfiber applicator pad (Meguiars) and just work it into the paint lightly using overlapping motions. Let it set up for 10-20minutes depending on outdoor conditions and buff. It took a use or two to get down the process, but once you do you can lay it thin and it buffs off easy. My first time I layed it on too think and kept thinking "easy off? no way!"

You can also immediately layer pink wax, no waiting a day or so. It yeilds excellent results. I then top it off with #425. For in between after car washes I use FX100.

Wasatch
07-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks, was thinking of doing the whole vehicle first. How does that sound? Or should I do a few panels, then remove? I guess I could do the whole vehicle then after the last panel, remove from first panel.

imported_Bence
07-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Dry foam, damp foam, damp MF... for me PW works in every conceivable way.

imported_themightytimmah
07-20-2006, 10:49 PM
I do it via cyclo, slightly damp finishing pads, rub them in the wax then put them on and work the wax into the paint using slow overlapping passes. I do the whole car at a time and it wipes off via low-nap MF like butter.

imported_NHBFAN
07-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Is #16 still available in some obscure warehouse?

Just curious ... I wasn`t the biggest fan of #16, but I wouldn`t mind having a new can as a keep sake.

Accumulator
07-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Is #16 still available in some obscure warehouse?

Just curious ... I wasn`t the biggest fan of #16, but I wouldn`t mind having a new can as a keep sake.

Seems like Mike Phillips occasionally dips into his stash, I`ve seen him e-bay cans before as part of some kind of promotion/charity thing or some such.

People offer #16 from time to time, it`s still out there. Besides here and e-bay, look at MOL from time to time- people try it, put it on too thick and say it`s a pain, and then sell it.

No, I`m not selling any of mine ;)

imported_steveo3002
07-21-2006, 12:16 PM
#16 is available in uk....try ebay.co.uk , but what with the exchange rate and all it may put you off

atticdog
07-21-2006, 06:39 PM
I have a can of #16 if anyone has a can of FK 1000P to trade id like to try it

scooterguitar
07-21-2006, 08:03 PM
I have #16 on the way or I would swap. The 1000P is prettyy darn tough.

atticdog
07-21-2006, 08:05 PM
tough to use or tough durability?