PDA

View Full Version : What Polish for Hand Use on Heavily Oxidized Volvo?

Milestones
07-20-2006, 07:17 AM
NOOB here who needs advice for a detail I will be doing on my parent`s silver Volvo sedan.

The car`s paint is heavily oxidized and has some imbedded crap on the hood and front bumper. I`m not as worried about swirls or scratches because of the light color of the paint. I need something that I can use to polish the paint by hand to restore the gloss/reflectivity of the paint.

Here was my tentative plan:

1) Washing w/ Meg`s GC

2)Claying with Clay Magic set;

3) Polishing by hand with PB SSR2.5

4) Waxing with Collinite 845 IW

Will I be able to do an adequate job of restoring the paint (it`s especially flat on the hood and trunk) with SSR2.5 by hand? Is there another polish that would work better for use by hand in this situation? What applicator should I use in this situation for polishing by hand?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Milestones
07-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Anyone?

Will I be wasting my time trying to restore the finish by hand or is there a polish that can do the job?

Accumulator
07-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Though I haven`t tried it myself, the new, *reformulated* version of Meg`s #2 might be just the ticket. The older rotary-only version had some *strong* chemical cleaners in it, and if they only changed the abrasives when they reforumulated (to make it hand/PC friendly) then #2 could be a good choice.

I myself often use 1z Ultra/Extra for jobs like this (most recently my mechanic`s beater).

That 845 is a good choice for the LSP.

audicoupej
07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
If it is really bad it will take a long time to do by hand. Megs Scratch-X is a good OTC polish to use by hand as well. It is only $8 or less so it might help to pick that up too.

Just plan on having lots of time. No matter what it will look better than before you polished!

Milestones
07-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I`ll have to take a look at Meg`s ScratchX - I hadn`t considered it.

audicoupej
07-20-2006, 10:38 AM
No problem. I used some Scratch-X by hand on VW paint which is really hard. It took a while but it came out nice (just swirl/scratch removal). I protected with 845. This was only my grill though and I wouldn`t want to do a whole car by hand.

I also did a SS red `93 Corolla which I buffed with the PC and Men IP with a LC Orange pad and did around trim by hand with Men IP and it takes a loooooooooooooooooooooong time by hand. The car was horribly oxidized though.

Goodluck! Post pics of the results.

metal
07-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Give Klasse All In One a try, works wonders against oxidation. Scratch-X should do some work for ya on the stuff on your hood as well hopefully.

rd_volvo
07-20-2006, 01:27 PM
One Grand -

1 - Special Touch

2 - Omega Glaze

3 - Blitz Wax

Milestones
07-20-2006, 01:28 PM
I`ve already got some Klasse AIO on hand that I use on my own vehicles - but I wasn`t sure that it had enough cutting power in it`s polish to restore the gloss to the hood/trunk/front bumper.

I think I will probably use AIO and a good MF scrubber/applicator pad for the rest of the car though - because it`s not in as bad shape as the horizontal surfaces and front bumper.

I think my arm would fall off if I tried to polish out the whole car by hand with something like SSR2.5 or ScratchX.