PDA

View Full Version : Sponge with ONR

owm
07-20-2006, 02:20 AM
Hi!

My 1st post here :)

Just started using ONR but am facng a problem with my wash mitt (a white Meguairs microfiber mitt) as it gets very dirty after washing one panel. Even after dunking it into my rinsing bucket (with grit guard), the fibers on the mitt stays stained. These stains do come off when I wash it with liquid detergent afterwards though...

Hence, I am looking to use something different with ONR as I do not want my paint scratched/marred. Does anybody have any experience using the 3M commercial sponge C31? Picture here:

3M sponge (http://www.instaoffice.com/3M-Commercial-Sponge.C41-3M.0.7.htm)

It is made from 100% cellulose and is supposedly to be paint safe. Can this safely be used with ONR without causing marring?

Thanks for any replies!

gbackus
07-20-2006, 02:25 AM
I use $2 grout sponges from Home Depot and they work perfectly. SpoiledMan uses the same, in fact, he`s the one that turned me(as well as a few others) onto the sponges.

owm
07-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Yup, have searched the archives and read about these grout sponges. Unfortunately where I live there is no Home Depot :)

I guess the 3M sponge should be fine provided it is rinsed out frequently and little force is used to push it across the paint?

Pennypacker
07-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Hi owm! Welcome to Autopia!

I have never used that 3M sponge, but do you really want to get a whole caseload right away. Maybe just buy one first and see if it works for you.

A lot of people like the Eurow sheepskin mitts, which you can buy at Wal-Mart. I also remember reading that people like the grout sponges from Home Depot. I`ve tried both with ONR and they worked fine for me.

I really prefer sea sponges and the Griot`s and Werkstatt sheepskins personally, but they`re more pricey.

owm
07-20-2006, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

Aha..of course I mean to buy 1 to try first :)

Basically I would like to use something that I can cheaply purchase, discard without remorse and re-purchase conveniently :D

Beason
07-20-2006, 11:30 AM
I use $2 grout sponges from Home Depot and they work perfectly. SpoiledMan uses the same, in fact, he`s the one that turned me(as well as a few others) onto the sponges.

I use them too, but for spots tougher spots I pre soak the spot then grab a MF because it seems to have alittle more bite on bugs and those little yellow spots. The grout sponge is a very cheap and good way to get dirt off thought.

EMazda3S
07-20-2006, 03:49 PM
I`ve tried everything with ONR, a chenille pad, mit, MF pad and mit, sea sponge, sheepskin mit, grout sponge, etc. and everything gets dirty/stained. This is just part of the ONR expeience. Some things wash clean and some things stay stained. I still have a stained grout sponge and while it`s stained, it is still clean and doesn`t pose a problem. The grout sponge is cool because it`s under $2 so I can jut toss it and get more locally if it bothers me.

owm
07-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Great...thanks all for the response.

Will try and see if I can find some grout sponges locally. If not will use the 3M sponge and probably a MF towel.

ONR is really a great product!