PDA

View Full Version : My first Duragloss disappointment

Pages : [1] 2

Mike-in-WV
07-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Bought some Duragloss #831 to try on my aluminum diamond plated truck bed tool box and it was worthless. That broke my heart because I`m a Duragloss fan through and through!

The instructions say to spray it on and let it sit for a minute or two and then spray off with a high pressure hose, Did that and then tried it again and then again. No improvement. The box is really not very dirty but the new shine is not there anymore.

A few months ago my wife gave me some stuff she had in the kitchen cabinet to try and it made it shine like new right away! The problem is the only thing I can read on the label is the it`s called Blue something. My wifes not even sure where she got it ? Oh well.

Anyway I also bought some Duragloss interior cleaner for the seats and carpet. I`ll try that tomorrow. Mike

TigerMike
07-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I don`t really know anything about that particular product...but

Did you try to agitate the cleaner at all with a soft bristle brush, then rinse? The reason I ask, is because some wheel cleaners claim to be spray on and hose off too, but they never truly seem to work like that. Most of the time, even they require agitation with a brush before it cleans the wheel surface. So, I wonder if you tried brushing the box too? Just a thought....

From the product description, I don`t think it is supposed to be a metal polish, but more like a cleaner if the surface is dirty. You said the box was mostly clean anyway, so could that possibly explain it? DG does make a dedicated metal polish, or two. If the shine is not there, a polish is likely what you need. http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=293

Mike

Mike-in-WV
07-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I don`t really know anything about that particular product...but

Did you try to agitate the cleaner at all with a soft bristle brush, then rinse? The reason I ask, is because some wheel cleaners claim to be spray on and hose off too, but they never truly seem to work like that. Most of the time, even they require agitation with a brush before it cleans the wheel surface. So, I wonder if you tried brushing the box too? Just a thought....

From the product description, I don`t think it is supposed to be a metal polish, but more like a cleaner if the surface is dirty. You said the box was mostly clean anyway, so could that possibly explain it? DG does make a dedicated metal polish, or two. If the shine is not there, a polish is likely what you need. http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=293

Mike

TigerMike. I may have confused you with my above post...... The product I just tried was a new bottle (Spray bottle ) of metal cleaner/polisher made by Duragloss and it`s product number is 831. On the bottle it says that it is for Aluminum and even states that it will clean and polish the aluminum diamond plated tool boxes like mine.

I did try a brush and that helped but it did not do the job that it should have done. I can buy some stuff from the Dollar store called Mean Green that does a better job.

The other cleaner polish I was referring to in my first post is some stuff my wife had under her kitchen cabinet and it was old and most of the label was gone. It was the best metal polish/cleaner I have ever used but we don`t know the name of it or who makes it.

Sorry for the confusion. Mike

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=292

Guy
07-19-2006, 05:57 PM
BlueMagic metal polish For chrome, aluminum etc. Not sure where I bought it.

Mike-in-WV
07-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks Guy! I`m sure I can find it on the net now that I know the name. Mike

Guy
07-19-2006, 06:36 PM
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/GuyB_2006/BlueMagic/

TigerMike
07-19-2006, 06:49 PM
That was my point earlier...you are compring a true metal polish cream with a spray cleaner, two diff products. You can`t polish wheels with a spray cleaner and I would expect the same with your truck box example...

Again Mike, I think that DG product you used is primarily to clean, not polish. It may have some gloss enhancers, but it will never be able to do what a true metal polish will do.

jdlierle
07-19-2006, 07:49 PM
According to Duragloss, they have a money back gurantee. If you don`t like the product, they will refund you the $ including the shipping costs.

Interesting to see if they stand by their claims.

Goodluck

imported_Bence
07-19-2006, 08:47 PM
For diamond plates, and even oxidized head- & taillights the NXT All Metal Polysh is sensational!

Mike-in-WV
07-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks Guy`s. Tiger Mike, I think you better go to the Duragloss site and read what it says about there 831. I mentioned this before and I`ll do it again. They claim it`s a cleaner and a polisher and that it should work beautifully for my aluminum tool box. In fact the outside of the spray bottle has a picture in the background of aluminum diamond plate.

You keep repeating that it`s not a polish for some reason and that you think it`s just a cleaner. OK, It doesn`t clean very well either. Duragloss products are my favorite and this will not change my mind about them. Also I did not buy it for my rims, I bought it for my tool box.Mike

Here is the link again so you can read what they say about there 831.

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=292

Mike-in-WV
07-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Guy, It looks like your into Blue Magic,Lol. Mike

Guy
07-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Actually I bought it to polish a chrome shower door years ago and found it today cleaning out my cabinet in the garage.

wannafbody
07-20-2006, 09:59 AM
I don`t know how any product can polish a surface without some form of friction. Did you use a foam pad by hand or a pc?

TigerMike
07-20-2006, 10:04 AM
I don`t know how any product can polish a surface without some form of friction.

That`s exactly what I was trying to say. :nixweiss

Mike, the product description is this:

Duragloss MCB (Metal Cleaner & Brightener) Is formulated to clean high polished aluminum. It removes oxidation, dirt and road film while leaving aluminum surface clean & bright. Recommended for all types of highly polished aluminum surfaces such as gas tanks, wheels, diamond plate tool boxes, running boards, tankers, etc.

It looks to me like its primary function is that of a liquid cleaner, in the same manner as that of a wheel cleaner or brightener. Again, I just think it is little unreasonable to think that this product would produce the same results as that of a paste metal polish, such as Blue Magic. I don`t know of a single spray product that will polish metal to renew the shine. That`s what the metal polish is for.

If you notice the Duragloss products for metals, they have the cleaner (what you used) and two types of metal polish. I think they intend that the cleaner be used to remove dirt and grime, and then follow with a metal polish for a high shine. There is just no way in the world that a spray-on liquid is going to polish any metal to a high shine without some friction or other polishing agents.

Not trying to argue with you, I just think you expected the product to be something it`s not. I used wheels as another example, because if I were trying to polish my wheels to renew a dull shine, I wouldn`t reach for a wheel cleaner, I`d use a metal polish, like that Blue Magic or other.

I would almost bet money that if you tried the DG metal polish, it would produce results similar to the Blue Magic.

jdlierle
07-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Great analysis :2thumbs: guys

When I read the product label, I didn`t take it as a polishing agent either, just a cleaner.

I also like NXT, Mr. Buffer (from Excel), Mother`s Chrome Polish, they all seem to do a fine job. With NXT paste, it really does works awesome with 000 fine wool, I`m sure I saw on it on AUtopia or somewhere else.

Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Cal Shine Shop TO, Calif

Attention To Detail Is What Separates Us From The Rest