PDA

View Full Version : #9, SFP, DACP product selection questions

CRXSi90
07-18-2006, 11:02 PM
I`m making an order of Meguiar`s products soon and need help with some decisions.

First issue:

When I first started detailing I got some Hi-Temp Light Cut polish and have been happy with it on both PC and Rotary. It is a very THICK product, a quality which I think I like when working with a machine. I`m almost out now, and want to give Meguiar`s a try. Which is thicker, #9 Swirl Remover or #82 SFP?

Second:

I am planning on doing a little touch up spray painting and will probably end up wetsanding and polishing. My plan was to also order #83 DACP to use for this polishing. Will DACP cut it, or should I go with something heavier. Medium-Cut Cleaner?

What I`ll be doing mostly is light polishing on my car and those of family members. I am aiming at getting two Meguiar`s products to tackle a wide variety of situations, and I can always add to my selection as the need arises.

Thanks for helping me with my weak spot: decision making!

coupe
07-19-2006, 07:01 AM
DACP #83 and Speed Glaze #80 and Swirl Free Polish #82 are my go to polishes for just about everything.

Alfisti
07-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I am aiming at getting two Meguiar`s products to tackle a wide variety of situations

#83 and #80. Don`t waste your money on #9.

Accumulator
07-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Some people might opine that going from Hi-Temp Light Cut to #83 is a step in the wrong direction ;) The H-T products are pretty user-friendly which is more than some of us would say about the Meguiar`s stuff.

Meg`s Medium Cut is a rotary-only product. I don`t need anything that aggressive to remove 3K sanding scratches.

And yeah, #9 and #82 are very, very mild and probably not gonna do what you`d expect.

RogueM3
07-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Some people might opine that going from Hi-Temp Light Cut to #83 is a step in the wrong direction ;) The H-T products are pretty user-friendly which is more than some of us would say about the Meguiar`s stuff

What product from Hi-Temp would you say is the equivalent of DACP?

Thanks.

Accumulator
07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
I`d say the Light Cut. My experience with #83 was quite limited (didn`t like it) but I used lots of Light Cut for the same kind of work people like #83 for. You could probably argue that their Medium Cut is a better match, the Light Cut finishes out pretty well even by PC/Cyclo, better than most people find the #83 to do.

RogueM3
07-19-2006, 01:13 PM
I`d say the Light Cut. My experience with #83 was quite limited (didn`t like it) but I used lots of Light Cut for the same kind of work people like #83 for. You could probably argue that their Medium Cut is a better match, the Light Cut finishes out pretty well even by PC/Cyclo, better than most people find the #83 to do.

Thanks. I had planned to order some GR-40 from TOL, I will add some MEdium and Light cut to that order... :woot2:

gbackus
07-19-2006, 01:20 PM

Light cut is closer to #80 IMO, and the medium cut is just a tad bit more agresive than #83, though it finishes down nicer.

Accumulator
07-19-2006, 07:16 PM
gbackus- Thanks for the additional info, that was a lot better than my response.

I can`t remember *why* I quit using Light Cut, it was really good stuff (especially by Cyclo); I got onto my PI-III RC/MG kick and never looked back :nixweiss

If I didn`t have enough PI-III stuff to last forever I`d get some of the H-T. Might get some of their Heavy or Extreme Cut anyhow...

CRXSi90
07-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Ahh, back to where I started!

I`ve only tried a few products (paste rubbing compounds, some filler-free 3M stuff which was really hard to wipe off, and some consumer Meguiar`s polish), but so far Hi-Temp Light Cut has been my favorite. It makes me think I should stick with what I like, but I don`t want to be missing out on anything, and I wouldn`t mind supporting Meg`s. Oh well, I guess I`ll still buy their NXT car wash.

I believe the supplier that comes around to where I work carries Hi-Temp, so I might see if they have a reasonable price on stuff.

Thanks for all the discussion!

CRXSi90
07-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Yay, I found a local distributor of Hi-Temp products! Johnson Supply which is a Parts Plus store.

Accumulator
07-22-2006, 10:52 AM
...[my experience]...makes me think I should stick with what I like, but I don`t want to be missing out on anything...

It can be tough to decide that you`re not missing out by trying something new, but I`m a firm believer in sticking with what works for *you*.