PDA

View Full Version : Cannot afford to have rust repaired at this time

sanfi
07-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I have about a 7 inch thin rust spot on the edge of my hood and many small nicks and chips in the pain around that area. i got a quote from a very reputable paint shop in the area and they gave me a estimate of just over $1000 Cdn for the repair.

I simply cannot afford to have this repaired at this time but I am very concerned about this. I want to keep it from getting worse if possible until I have money to get it fixed which could be at least a couple months.

What should I do?

imported_steveo3002
07-18-2006, 06:10 PM
dremel the worst of the rust away and paint on some por15,rustbullet or eastwoods rust encapsulator ...that should slow things up until you get it done right

Accumulator
07-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah, it`s just a temporary fix, but it`ll be a lot better than nothing. I treated some really awful rust-out areas on my mechanic`s loaner car back in March and four months later I`m impressed by how well it`s kept things from spreading (and it`s not like I did a very good job or anything, I bet you`ll do a better job and get even better results). FWIW I used the Eastwood stuff.

sanfi
07-18-2006, 06:38 PM
thank you guys for the advice. i think i can handle sanding it down and applying those products. i`ve never done this kind of thing before...

i hate having to settle but i guess that is life...

Five Star
07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
To be honest?

Go to a salvage yard and look for a hood to your Car the same color, thats in decent shape.

sanfi
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
To be honest?

Go to a salvage yard and look for a hood to your Car the same color, thats in decent shape.

i tried that today and there aren`t any.

p3passat
07-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I dont understan why it is going to cost so much...... $1000 is stupid. I am in a similar situation where my bonnet (hood). A roof slate fell on my car bonnet and caused some deep scratches. The body shop (who has vw and audi contracted to do warranty work) quoted me £350 to get the bonnet, front wings and rear bumper (has a scratch from previous owner). Last time i had work done he needed 7 paint samples to get the right match so this guy is good at his job. I wouldnt pay $1000 if he fully re-sprayed my car!

sanfi
07-19-2006, 03:26 PM
I dont understan why it is going to cost so much...... $1000 is stupid. I am in a similar situation where my bonnet (hood). A roof slate fell on my car bonnet and caused some deep scratches. The body shop (who has vw and audi contracted to do warranty work) quoted me £350 to get the bonnet, front wings and rear bumper (has a scratch from previous owner). Last time i had work done he needed 7 paint samples to get the right match so this guy is good at his job. I wouldnt pay $1000 if he fully re-sprayed my car!

for a cheap respray here in Canada you would be looking at least $2000; and that would be a serious deal.

the quote i got was to take care of the rust on the hood but they also were gonna take care of all the chips on the hood and fenders. it does seem expensive to me as well but that is about the best i can hope for from a reputable place in my area.

p3passat
07-19-2006, 03:42 PM
WOW thats a lot of cash. Must be very very high labour rates in canada then. The first thing you need to do is to make sure it doesnt spread further by doing as the masters say and sealing the rust in. Good luck

deadlock32
07-20-2006, 12:28 AM

STOP... you guys are forgetting one thing

1,000.00 CAD = 450 GBP = 880 USD