PDA

View Full Version : new here... need product and PC advice

06grip
07-18-2006, 02:00 PM
OK. So I am ready to purchase a porter cable and some detailing products. I have been using Zaino by hand for years but am not satisfied with its results on my black WRX STi.

I was going to purchase Souveran over Klasse kit from autogeek.net for $100 (http://www.autogeek.net/sokit.html)…

 10 oz. Klasse All-In-One

 8 oz. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

 4 oz. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

 16 oz. Pinnacle Clay Lubricant

 16 oz. Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax

 2 Pinnacle Foam Applicators

 3 Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

 1 Cobra Microfiber Detailing Pad

what do you think? After hearing people rave about Souveran on a black car, I’ve got to try it. Does this kit look complete? Also, I have a few waterspots and swirles in the paint… will the AIO take care of these, or do I need to buy a specific polish? Is a PC really necessary with these products? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

drew.haynes
07-18-2006, 02:05 PM
OK. So I am ready to purchase a porter cable and some detailing products. I have been using Zaino by hand for years but am not satisfied with its results on my black WRX STi.

I was going to purchase Souveran over Klasse kit from autogeek.net for $100 (http://www.autogeek.net/sokit.html)…

 10 oz. Klasse All-In-One

 8 oz. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

 4 oz. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

 16 oz. Pinnacle Clay Lubricant

 16 oz. Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax

 2 Pinnacle Foam Applicators

 3 Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

 1 Cobra Microfiber Detailing Pad

what do you think? After hearing people rave about Souveran on a black car, I’ve got to try it. Does this kit look complete? Also, I have a few waterspots and swirles in the paint… will the AIO take care of these, or do I need to buy a specific polish? Is a PC really necessary with these products? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The PC is not necessary at all for those products... but at the same time... those will not remove your swirls. I`d say the price is good @ 100 bucks, since the Souveran paste alone is normally around 70 bucks. If you want to get rid of the swirls.. you will want a PC, pads, and some polishes. For that you are probably looking at close to 200 final cost, NOT includign the kit you mentioned. Basicly 120 for PC.. 20-50 bucks for pads and backing plate... 20-40 bucks for polishes.

Honestly, I don`t think you`d regret getting the PC and stuff. You`ll prolly get sucked in and start blowing money left and right like I did... but you`ll learn to love what you can accomplish on a paint job... and probably start doing friends and/or customers cars before you know it... maybe make back the money you spend?

06grip
07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
The PC is not necessary at all for those products... but at the same time... those will not remove your swirls. I`d say the price is good @ 100 bucks, since the Souveran paste alone is normally around 70 bucks. If you want to get rid of the swirls.. you will want a PC, pads, and some polishes. For that you are probably looking at close to 200 final cost, NOT includign the kit you mentioned. Basicly 120 for PC.. 20-50 bucks for pads and backing plate... 20-40 bucks for polishes.

Honestly, I don`t think you`d regret getting the PC and stuff. You`ll prolly get sucked in and start blowing money left and right like I did... but you`ll learn to love what you can accomplish on a paint job... and probably start doing friends and/or customers cars before you know it... maybe make back the money you spend?

OK... Now I`m thinking about adding the PC package ($189 http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html) which includes:

 Porter Cable 7424 Variable Speed Polisher

 Dual Action 5 Inch Flexible Backing Plate

 1 Orange 6.5" & 1 Orange 5.5" Light Cutting Pads

 2 White 6.5 Inch Polishing Pads

 2 Gray 6.5 Inch Finishing Foam Pads

 2 Cobra Microfiber Towels

 1 Packet of Snappy Clean

What polish would you recomend to get the swirls and waterspots out?

drew.haynes
07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
OK... Now I`m thinking about adding the PC package ($189 http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html) which includes:

 Porter Cable 7424 Variable Speed Polisher

 Dual Action 5 Inch Flexible Backing Plate

 1 Orange 6.5" & 1 Orange 5.5" Light Cutting Pads

 2 White 6.5 Inch Polishing Pads

 2 Gray 6.5 Inch Finishing Foam Pads

 2 Cobra Microfiber Towels

 1 Packet of Snappy Clean

What polish would you recomend to get the swirls and waterspots out?

I have liked Poorboys SSR2.5 on Orange, followed by SSR1 on White, but needed something even MORE aggressive.. you probably will be fine with that. I had some BAD bodywork to fix.

Either SSR2.5 followed by SSR1, Optimum Compound followed by Optimum Polish, Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by Menzerna Final Polish, or Meg`s DACP followed by Meg`s Swirl Free Polish.

Poorboys and Optimum are ok in direct sun, the other two aren`t really.. if that`s a factor. Poorboys will dust a noticeable amount (but nothing like the 3M i`m using). Optimum and Menzerna shouldn`t dust much. I can`t say if the DACP and SFP will dust or not... I`ll be trying them soon. I only have personal experience with Poorboys and 3M, the others I`ve just seen other`s opinions and results.

Oh also, pricewise. Poorboys polishes - about 12 bucks for 16oz. Optimum, about 15 bucks for 32oz. Meg`s about 15 bucks for 32oz or 30 bucks for gallon! Menzerna.. not sure exactly, but more than the others.

06grip
07-18-2006, 02:42 PM
OK. So here is my game plan... what do you think?

Souveran over Klasse kit from autogeek.net ($100) that includes:

10 oz. Klasse All-In-One

8 oz. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

4 oz. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

16 oz. Pinnacle Clay Lubricant

16 oz. Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax

2 Pinnacle Foam Applicators

3 Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

1 Cobra Microfiber Detailing Pad

PC Kit from autogeek ($189) that includes:

Porter Cable 7424 Variable Speed Polisher

Dual Action 5 Inch Flexible Backing Plate

1 Orange 6.5" & 1 Orange 5.5" Light Cutting Pads

2 White 6.5 Inch Polishing Pads

2 Gray 6.5 Inch Finishing Foam Pads

2 Cobra Microfiber Towels

1 Packet of Snappy Clean

And I`ll start with the Optimum Polish for $15 (the car is only 3 months old and there are really only a few swirls).

Anything else you can think of? Thank you so much BTW.

I have liked Poorboys SSR2.5 on Orange, followed by SSR1 on White, but needed something even MORE aggressive.. you probably will be fine with that. I had some BAD bodywork to fix.

Either SSR2.5 followed by SSR1, Optimum Compound followed by Optimum Polish, Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by Menzerna Final Polish, or Meg`s DACP followed by Meg`s Swirl Free Polish.

Poorboys and Optimum are ok in direct sun, the other two aren`t really.. if that`s a factor. Poorboys will dust a noticeable amount (but nothing like the 3M i`m using). Optimum and Menzerna shouldn`t dust much. I can`t say if the DACP and SFP will dust or not... I`ll be trying them soon. I only have personal experience with Poorboys and 3M, the others I`ve just seen other`s opinions and results.

Oh also, pricewise. Poorboys polishes - about 12 bucks for 16oz. Optimum, about 15 bucks for 32oz. Meg`s about 15 bucks for 32oz or 30 bucks for gallon! Menzerna.. not sure exactly, but more than the others.

drew.haynes
07-18-2006, 02:46 PM
OK. So here is my game plan... what do you think?

Souveran over Klasse kit from autogeek.net ($100) that includes:

10 oz. Klasse All-In-One

8 oz. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

4 oz. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

16 oz. Pinnacle Clay Lubricant

16 oz. Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax

2 Pinnacle Foam Applicators

3 Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

1 Cobra Microfiber Detailing Pad

PC Kit from autogeek ($189) that includes:

Porter Cable 7424 Variable Speed Polisher

Dual Action 5 Inch Flexible Backing Plate

1 Orange 6.5" & 1 Orange 5.5" Light Cutting Pads

2 White 6.5 Inch Polishing Pads

2 Gray 6.5 Inch Finishing Foam Pads

2 Cobra Microfiber Towels

1 Packet of Snappy Clean

And I`ll start with the Optimum Polish for $15 (the car is only 3 months old and there are really only a few swirls).

Anything else you can think of? Thank you so much BTW.

Sounds good to me.

I`d say try the OP on the white pad... see if it gets rid of them all. If not... put it on the orange then come back w/ the white if necessary. That may take care of everything.

You`ll prolly spend money on little extras too... like maybe Meg`s Quick Detail spray (7 bucks for 32oz) for gettin residue off and stuff like that.

Also, Sears has 1000W halogen lights for abotu 30 bucks... VERY VERY helpful in seeing the swirls and being able to see when the polish has broken down.