PDA

View Full Version : Fixing scuffs in dash

daschrier
07-18-2006, 08:50 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/daschrier/IMG_4287.jpg

There`s a few scratches in my dash right above the glove box, seen in the pic.

The plastic is hard and textured, so I know it won`t ever look new, but is there anything that will reduce the "valleys" of the scratches so they don`t stare at me while I drive....

Novus? Mothers or meguiar products??

I`ve read about the heat gun method, but I don`t have one, and don`t want to spend the money on a heat gun if it might not work.

velobard
07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Somewhere I read someone mention buffing that sort of thing with a felt tip of some sort in a Dremel tool. Never tried it so I can`t vouch for it. Definitely something to practice with before messing up an otherwise nice dash.

daschrier
07-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Hmmm, I do have a dremel tool. I`ll go to home depot and look at the various bits they have.

velobard
07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I don`t think it was a regular Dremel tip, I think it was something they found to stick in there. Seems like they said it was about the size of a felt-tip pen.

daschrier
07-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Well dremel does have polishing tips that are felt like....I`ll give it a try anyway.

VWdriver
07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Bump, and please report back after you have tried this.

Matt M, PA
07-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Here`s a coupel ideas.

First, you can try a Mister Clean Magic Eraser. Sometimes works.

For a scratch that is more like a "rip".....I have used a molding tool...or a similar metal ended tool. You want a curved, smooth end. You can often gently work the plastic that is "moved" in the scratch back into place. You know, kind of press it back into place.