PDA

View Full Version : Black SUV needs TLC

ADauphin
07-17-2006, 10:21 PM
I have an 02 Envoy and while there is a slight shine there are many light swirl marks, and light oxidation. Being black I have been afraid to hit it with a polish or cleaner in thinking I would produce even more swirls. I know there is a trick to getting black to look like a mirror and deep, but I haven`t found it. Would a machine (PC) be the trick or can this be done by hand? I`m thinking wash, clay, polish, wax but as for products from searching it seems to be users preference. I have clayed it last year and tried wax but having a 6-month old the badly needed car care has been on the back burner.

My baby (SUV) has been neglected and I want to get her back to being like new before I end up damaging the paint from neglect. Any help appreciated and I can provide more info on request, naturally.

Stickman81
07-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Since time is critical for you I would suggest getting a PC in order to eliminate some of the defects of the vehicle prior to any protectants being applied.

IMO polishes are "users choice". I have only tried two lines, Optimum and PoorBoys. I like both for different reasons.

The reason the paint did not look great on your last attempt is probably due to the swirls which are detracting from the "depth" that might normally be seen.

You are on the right path. Perhaps someone with more experience will jump in here soon and give some better guidance.

Congrats and best of luck.

Bigpoppa3346
07-18-2006, 07:25 AM
First thing, do not be afraid of putting more swirls in with the PC. Where are you located? Perhaps one of the members here are located near you and can do some work for you. DO NOT go to any detail shop or dealership, as 95% of them do more harm than good. I highly advise getting a PC, and you will really be on your way to a great looking car. If you are seeing oxidation, you definitely need to do something now. Use the search function on the top right hand corner of the page, or, better yet, do an advanced search. They should tell you just about everything you need to know about polishing and defect removal with various machines. Good luck.

ADauphin
07-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Here`s the progress: I have a PC but a sander variant, the 7335. I ordered the kit with the pads and plate from proper and expect them by the weekend for the conversion. I have the Klasse AIO and high-gloss sealant glaze, some #26 but nothing as far as an abrasive cleaner...I hope I don`t need that. I have a wool mit and a MF towel which really stinks as far as drying if you ask me, picked it up at the local parts store maybe a Meguiars..dunno but it is a waffle type and it just smears the water around like a dry chamois. I have been guilty of the bath towel drying :o many times. I hope to get the whole wash-dry bit to a more satisfactory level to avoid any more problems. Detailing really is an art and I want to be able to be more confident in what i`m doing. I`ve been waxing and polishing for years but prolly not the correct way but I have had good results and I learn quick :2thumbs: We`ll see what the weekend brings and what else do you recommend me picking up?? BTW, I`m in Northern VA near Manassas....The kit also comes w/ 3 MF towels prob much better quality, we`ll see.

ADauphin
07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, I received the kit today and I have the black, red, and 2 white pads...thought I was getting a yellow but maybe not. Can I wash, AIO, wax or glaze all with the machine or should the wax be applied by hand?

martinager
07-20-2006, 09:07 PM
you want an orange and a yellow pad for removing swirls..

Start out with the least cutting pad / polish and move up. To get marks off my camry, Im doing orange w. ssr1 then to 2.5. Then go to yellow with 1 and if ned be 2.5 in some small areas.

ADauphin
07-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I assume you mean the speed settings? I definately don`t want to cut into the CC but just removal of light swirls throughout the paint, mainly from washing.

ADauphin
07-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Spent some more time in the archives, and learned that is not the speed settings :doh . I don`t have a red or orange pad and saturday is near, I have many retailers around so is there a favorite go-to place in a pinch....Pep,Boys or similair? I`ts gonna happen this weekend :waxing: cant get my hands on any FP II but maybe some 82 if necessary, like I said the only good stuff I have now is AIO and KSG.