PDA

View Full Version : Doing my first real paid detail.. HELP

martinager
07-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Well I am going to do my first true paid for detailing.. scary :X So I read over the ebook a time or two, and searched for some threads, and here is what I came up with.

Apparently the car was err attempted to be waxed, and there are partials all over the car, it goes from ice to um canyon. So with knowing that,

~PC 7424 will be used~

1) Wash with Meguiars NXT Generation Wash / wool mit.

2) Dry with nifty sponge towel.

3) Clay

4) Light wash / rinse

Next... Now that is as far as I have gotten for a couple of reasons.. There are sooo many polishes / scratch removers out there, its making me dizzy :sign There are light to medium swirls on the car, and a few rather large surface scratches [very light on the paint]. Also not knowing which polish to use, Im at a loss for what pads I should go with. The car is my best friends nightshadow camry, like mine, but his is an earlier year. So this will be a great learning experience for me on dark colors. I tried to look at 3m products for the scratches, but since their site redesign, links are broken, and the product overview now sucks, and is near impossible to find what you are looking for.

Wax with Nattys Blue. I tried to keep a good wax for dark cars in mind. I dont trust myself to be able to properly layer glazes and other misc things YET. I just want to do my friend right .

Thank You in Advance!

-Ryan M

Charlies02GLS
07-17-2006, 10:10 PM
I`m a little confused with step 4. Are you planning on claying the car before you`ve dried it? You`ll definately want to completely dry off the car before claying otherwise you`ll create work for yourself with removing the waterspots.

Also, what are you planning to use for polishing (hand, PC, Rotary, etc.)?

martinager
07-17-2006, 10:19 PM
I`m a little confused with step 4. Are you planning on claying the car before you`ve dried it? You`ll definately want to completely dry off the car before claying otherwise you`ll create work for yourself with removing the waterspots.

Also, what are you planning to use for polishing (hand, PC, Rotary, etc.)?

My bad its late,

Dry car it is. Ill edit post in a second. I will be using a 7424 to do the dirty work :)

Ben Kenobi
07-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Charlie, he doesn`t need to dry the car before claying. Some people even rinse a panel then use the soap again and clay right then. I would then give it a rinse or a light wash after claying and then dry. Whey the Dawn wash? Is the car that bad? NXT is pretty strong and should be good for anything out there especially if you`re going to clay. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the polishing and the Natty`s, it`s a great wax.

martinager
07-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Charlie, he doesn`t need to dry the car before claying. Some people even rinse a panel then use the soap again and clay right then. I would then give it a rinse or a light wash after claying and then dry. Whey the Dawn wash? Is the car that bad? NXT is pretty strong and should be good for anything out there especially if you`re going to clay. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the polishing and the Natty`s, it`s a great wax.

Ahhh edit again! hehe

Ok if the NXT is strong enough, then I will just use it. I was going to dawn it to take the umm wax patches off the car that are all over. And thanks for the good luck, I know Ill need it hehe, if I can find a polish that is.. It is possible for me to get some good pricing on Poorboys SSR series. Criticisms please?

Charlies02GLS
07-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Charlie, he doesn`t need to dry the car before claying. Some people even rinse a panel then use the soap again and clay right then.

Right, but if the entire vehicle is wet when he begins to clay his first panel by the time he gets to the last panel some of that water will have dried and he`ll then have to remove the waterspots in addition to the bonded contaminents.

What/If any pads do you have at your disposal right now?

martinager
07-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Right, but if the entire vehicle is wet when he begins to clay his first panel by the time he gets to the last panel some of that water will have dried and he`ll then have to remove the waterspots in addition to the bonded contaminents.

What/If any pads do you have at your disposal right now?

Yeah I figured that out about the water spots. I have at my disposal whatever ships overnight ^^ Him being a friend, and my first paying customer, I really want to get the right pads.

According to Autogeek. For poorboys SSR 2/ 2.5 I need an orange and a yellow pad. Pb on toyotanation had recommended I use a 4" plate with a 4.5" pad. Should I go bigger? smaller?

Thank You Again,

Ryan

Edit: So far I will be ordering some poorboys ssr to remove the scratches, and some nattys blue wax along with some pads. Pads are pending on expert opinions from here ;)

tustah
07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
I don`t see how I can recommend what type of pad for you to use. It all depends on the type of car and how heavily swirled it is. It also depends on what polish you are planning on using.

Just out of curiousity, will this be your FIRST time detailing?

awahl63
07-18-2006, 09:51 AM
I think you are in a little deep...Skip Dawn and just use NXT

martinager
07-18-2006, 01:39 PM
I think you are in a little deep...Skip Dawn and just use NXT

We figured that out already :) Thanks

martinager
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
I don`t see how I can recommend what type of pad for you to use. It all depends on the type of car and how heavily swirled it is. It also depends on what polish you are planning on using.

Just out of curiousity, will this be your FIRST time detailing?

No, not my very first one. I have always waxed and done interior cleaning, but am just now dabbling in swirl removal. Well the car, how do i explain this.. Pretend you have a swirlmark paint brush in say photoshop, and then you proceed to cover most of the car. The swirls are light to moderate. Sorry for not posting that earlier :doh

I will attempt to get my camera phone to take some decent pics of the swirl marks.

drew.haynes
07-18-2006, 02:19 PM
No need to dry before claying.

I`d say either SSR2.5 on a Yellow or Orange pad, followed by SSR1 on a white... OR...

Meg`s DACP on a Yellow or Orange, followed by Meg`s #80 or #82 on white

martinager
07-18-2006, 07:58 PM
No need to dry before claying.

I`d say either SSR2.5 on a Yellow or Orange pad, followed by SSR1 on a white... OR...

Meg`s DACP on a Yellow or Orange, followed by Meg`s #80 or #82 on white

Was just thinking of drying so no water spots would get on the car. I like the SSR formulas , so I will be going with them for this. Could you be as so kind to link me some pads?

Thanks,

Ryan