PDA

View Full Version : Can`t remove tree sap

MadMatt2024
07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Ok, I might as well start off by saying that this is my first car and the paint isn`t perfect but it still looks good enough for me. The only problem I have is the tree sap that was on the car when I bought it. I can`t get it off! This stuff is about as hard as, if not harder, than the paint! It looks like it has been on the car at least a year or longer, it is cooked on. Clay Magic won`t budge it, compound barely does anything and Goo Gone also does nothing even if I let a paper towel soaked with it sit on the spot for 15 minuets! It is all over the hood and there are some specs on the roof that are thick as well. Anybody know a way to remove it?

Hood.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/7/19718323330.jpg&s=f10

Roof.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/7/19718331949.jpg&s=f10

MadMatt2024
07-17-2006, 10:20 PM
bump, bump, bump.

mblgjr
07-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Bug and Tar removers often work well.

If it is really hard, I use the method below as a last resort.

Kerosene and PB Penetrant Blast work great for me if there is a hardened glob of sap that is bonded like super-glue. Neither hurts the paint, but make sure you immediately flush the area with soap and water, preferrably followed by a paint cleanser.

The PB Blast works the best and is generally found at most Auto parts stores.

MadMatt2024
07-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks. I have some PB Blaster but I never thought to try it. Beleave me this stuff is hard and I was trying to be carfull with what I put on it so I don`t damage the paint or clear coat.

mblgjr
07-18-2006, 12:59 AM
PB won`t harm the clear. I`ve used it on my `01 GMC (white) truck several times becuase my parking area is surrounded in pines. PB has never stained the paint or hurt the clear.

I will dissolve the hard sap really quicky. I just put some on a towel and gently rub the spot until it softens. Then rinse/wash and continue with the other spots.

Good luck.

jimmybuffit
07-18-2006, 02:39 AM
Isopropyl alcohol and dwell time. Massage it in with a fingertip, and begin to feel it fade away.

Jim

BobD
07-18-2006, 06:49 AM
The best chemical product I have found for tar and sap is Four Star Professional Tar and Glue Remover.

Ed Fisher
07-18-2006, 09:34 AM
I have the same problem. I never park near trees but the sap still lands and bonds. My top and hood`s covered with sap as though it was sprayed...

MadMatt2024
07-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, today I tried the PB Blaster and sad to say it didn`t seem to work. The is also had a small spot on a piece of trim in the back (Its a Wagon) that I`m sure is sap. I tried it there and it didn`t budge! Am I doing it wrong? Do I have to let it sit on the spot for a long time before I rub? I`m beginning to think that the only thing that will remove it will remove the paint also.

awahl63
07-18-2006, 09:39 AM
The best chemical product I have found for tar and sap is Four Star Professional Tar and Glue Remover.

I knew Bob would chime in with that response

imported_Sullybob
07-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Isopropyl alcohol and dwell time. Massage it in with a fingertip, and begin to feel it fade away.

Jim

:werd:

This is the best way I have found to remove tree sap. I have removed tree sap from cars that was so dried out and baked on it was like two part epoxy. Spend the .97 cents and give it a try.

mblgjr
07-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Wow, I`ve never had PB not dissolve it.

I`ll have to try the Rubbing Alcohol in the future.

MadMatt2024
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the help. I just tried the alcohol on the spot on the roof and it sort of worked. It easily removed the middle of the spot but left a ring of unremoved sap around it and now there is a divot in the middle of it that seems lower than the finish.:scared: It looks like the clear got removed with the spot! At least it did work.