PDA

View Full Version : Question for Grudgy Cars

Woob
03-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Here`s a picture of a 325i detail I did this past weekend. Rims are RIDICULOUS after even using A2Z. However the side skirt area, or "runner" area is caked in mud and other grudgy things. What would you do in this situation? (Grr. PhotoBucket resized this sucker tiny)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/Woob/BMW%20Topaz%20325i/325iTopazBefore5.jpg

I rinsed it, pretreat with S&W, wash with Adam`s Wash & Wax, then tried using a Bug Block to grab all the stuck on dirt, yet wasn`t able to get it very clean. Thinking of Meguiar`s Body Solvent for those horrendous vehicles. I find the cleansing part of a detail the hardest.

More pics to come of the detail if it doesn`t turn to bad weather! Thanks for any replies.

joyriide1113
03-21-2005, 09:22 PM
hmmm. dont know about body solvent but as for the rims. maybe u can tackle it with the same process one would use for paint. clay, polish, ect. after all, arent those bmw rims clearcoated. they look identical to my sisters 325i

but then again thats probably a different type of crud/dirt thats attached to the rims.

G35stilez
03-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Try Top of the Line`s Wheel Wash on the rims.

For the lower panels, AutoGlym`s Intensive Tar Remover with a cloth works GREAT.

Woob
03-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Opps I wasn`t very clear at all. Let me restate.

1. What would you recommend for those VERY Grimey/grudgy areas such as runners / rear quarter panels
2. The rims I used A2z and alot of elbow grease, followed by Adam`s Revive, then Adam`s Clay, yet still wouldn`t work.

joyriide1113
03-21-2005, 09:35 PM
have u tried mr.clean magik eraser. i had some caked on brake dust on my stepdads wheel a long time ago that nothing would take out... begain to think that myabe it was etched (sorta like paint gets etched with bird poop) but then i tried the magik eraser which i use for wax/trim problems. took it right out.

ive heard two things about the foam magik eraser
1.its non-abrasive
2.very abrasive and will definately mar any painted finsh!

either or it could be that persons last resort. try a small piece, maybe along the sides of the spokes and see if it damages it.

ABCDetail
03-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Whats up Woob! Long time no talk, got some local suggestions for you. Majestic solutions products that I typically use for those problem areas;

Running boards or side skirts;
after rinsing thoroughly, (do you have a pressure washer? If not, think about investing in a cheap electric one for now) spray MS Bug n Tar and MS Pink Stuff APC on really tough areas. Allow to dwell for a min, then use your bug block. Should come off pretty easily, of course Bug n Tar is petro based and strips the wax.

Wheels;
Pre treat with MS Green stuff dilluted 1:1, then pressure wash, then re-spray
and aggitate. If brake dust persists, use MS Brake Off. This stuff is serious! Use only on a dry wheel, wearing gloves, eyewear, and don`t get it on your skin! It`s caustic, this stuff is awesome, I use it only on any clearcoated rims (BMW, Audi, Volvos esp.) that are rough. Spray all over, allow to dwell only 3 or 4 minutes, then pressure wash and watch it all rinse away.

Hope this helps bud.

Don
03-23-2005, 05:49 AM
In severe cases, I have been known to take the car down to the local DIY pressure wash, spray the lower/nastier panels with a strong APC, let it dwell for a couple of minutes then pressure rinse.

Since the car is being fully detailed anyway, I don`t feel this one time extreme method is out of line.