PDA

View Full Version : buff off

ezzzman
07-17-2006, 01:26 PM
would you use a microfiber bonnet with the pc to buff off the wax or just by hand, which way is better?

coupe
07-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I remove everything by hand.

D3mon
07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
By hand for me. I go in quite agressively when buffing a wax for best effect.

The one time I used it, I found my MF bonnet went `flat` and became almost ineffective.

Accumulator
07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Other side of the coin here- I buff my LSPs off with MF bonnets. No problems of any kind using the bonnets over foam pads.

Heh heh, if you want aggressive buffing (not sure why you would, but anyhow..), then MF bonnets on a Cyclo are the ticket ;)

Note that all MF bonnets are not created equal, and an overly-thick application of LSP will load up *any* buffing media in short order. Put it on nice and thin and you shouldn`t have any problems. I remove #16 from my wife`s A8 with MF bonnets all the time, and that`s a "heavy LSP" on a fairly big sedan. I usually get by with one pair of bonnets on the Cyclo but I sometimes use two; I follow up by hand (often with a CBT) but IMO it`s not really necessary.

kenyan
07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Noob question here, but when polishing by hand (prewax cleaner on new paint in this case), do you buff off in circular motions or side to side? I had read that you apply the polish side-to-side, but it seems like that might be difficult to buff it in without some circular motion.

SDLexus
07-17-2006, 03:43 PM
I`ve done both. I use a PC for the flat portions of the car and remove the rest in the creases by hand.

Accumulator
07-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Direction of motion shouldn`t matter; consider that PCs/Cyclos move in "random orbital" motions and nobody says that *they* oughta go in straight lines ;)

The only advantage to straight lines is that if you cause marring the scratches will be less visible (There`s always a best angle to see a scratch- so the difference is between a) a single angle of view for a straight line and b) multiple angles of view for a circle which is clearly visible because it covers all 360 degrees of viewing angle). So don`t mar the paint and it won`t matter which direction you use :D

Wasatch
07-17-2006, 06:42 PM
I also do everything by hand.

bene vita
07-17-2006, 06:52 PM
ezzzman

My two cents worth - use the PC to put on the wax - and "have fun" buffing it off by hand.

Take a microfibre towel and fold it in quarters. This gives you eight clean sides (yes 8, count em 8) to work with to remove the wax. Use two towels or more per car.

The removal will be more complete because you can see exactly what areas you missed and you don`t have to go back after the PC process and "hunt" for those missed areas.

I agree with our friend Accumulator above - try to go in a straight lines.

Have fun