PDA

View Full Version : Best QD for topping a carnuba?

ashsarna
07-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone, I have been thinking about this for awhile: what is your go to qd for a car topped with a carnuba wax?

I have been playing with several qds like Duragloss FC&S, Pinnacle crystal mist, PB S&W and some eimann fabrik (the old formulation before VOC, that had some carnub it it). I have no problems deciding what to use on a sealant (when not topping with a carnuba), but not sure what would be best for a `nuba as I presume they would be "less durable" to chemical qds.

I was hoping to try something that would give me anti-static protection, but all the reading I have been doing (1) seems they are mostly used on sealants and (2) has caused me to get even more confused.

I am not sure if the wax one uses makes a difference (collonite for example would probably be harder to remove unintentionally), but, currently I am revolving among using souveran, victoria concours, and s100.

I was thinking of the following:

DG FC&S (is it too strong? description seems to imply the wax has to be "durable"?)

FK425

clearkote quickshine

PB S&G

any of the ones I am currently using (listed above)

I am also open to any others you may propose.

Thanks for your assistance :2thumbs: .

BobD
07-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Try Four Star Professional Spray Wax +.

Pennypacker
07-17-2006, 12:39 PM
You may also want to consider Griot`s Speed Shine, one of the few QDs that actually has some carnauba in it. May not be quite as good for cleaning for that reason, but I`m really not sure. Although I have a bottle, I don`t have that much experience using it.

TGates
07-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Pinnacle Crystal Mist is tops. I also love Sonus Carnauba Spritz. It`s got the same grade carnauba as P21S/S100, and it`s worked well over everything from Collinite to Souveran for me. I`m currently using it over Max Wax and it`s a delight.

I also agree with Pennypacker in the Griot`s Speed Shine recommendation. It`s one of my very favorite QD`s (I buy it by the gallon) for use with carnauba, although the actual carnauba content in it is very low... <1%.

You also can`t go wrong with Quik Shine or Adam`s Detail Spray, and you might look into the Chemical Guy`s Pro Detailer w/ Carnauba, or whatever it`s called.

I`ve also had good luck with Meguiar`s Last Touch over carnauba and it can usually be bought locally and by the gallon. It has great cleaning ability and smells good, too :getdown

ashsarna
07-17-2006, 01:50 PM
BlackSunshine,

yeah I really like PCM too, but I have run out of it and was wondering of any alternatives (crystal mist is expensive :eek: ). Also, I am getting the itch to try something new.

I have my supply of Eiman fabrik crystal mist to use up (too bad its discontinued) that use to be close to PCM imo.

I would like to try the CG detailer but have heard mixed reviews of its streaking. However, Danase`s recomendations carry alot of weight for me.

Sonus CS, hmmm, sounds very interesting...

TGates
07-17-2006, 02:25 PM
BlackSunshine,

yeah I really like PCM too, but I have run out of it and was wondering of any alternatives (crystal mist is expensive :eek: ). Also, I am getting the itch to try something new.

I have my supply of Eiman fabrik crystal mist to use up (too bad its discontinued) that use to be close to PCM imo.

I would like to try the CG detailer but have heard mixed reviews of its streaking. However, Danase`s recomendations carry alot of weight for me.

Sonus CS, hmmm, sounds very interesting...

The Sonus CS is great. I just wish it came in gallon size. I`d give it a try, although Speed Shine is also very nice... I use Speed Shine when the surface dust is substantial enough that I don`t feel comfortable using "thinner" QD`s. It`s a thicker liquid that I just feel more comfortable using when the car is moderately dusty. However, I feel the Sonus CS gives a much better appearance to the finish.

96snake
07-17-2006, 03:10 PM
EO Nano looks awesome over Collinite 845 or Megs 26.

Lorne

awahl63
07-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Crystal Mist or Chemical Guys Speed Wipe

Bassinmax
07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
One Grand Show Off. Great on any carnauba.

TGates
07-17-2006, 04:35 PM
One Grand Show Off. Great on any carnauba.

Another great option. I completely forgout about Show Off. It looks dazzling, but for some reason lately I have been having issues with streaking over Max Wax.

imported_NHBFAN
07-17-2006, 05:24 PM
I just ordered a gallon of FK#425 because I wanted to ride on the bandwagon too.

Usually for carnubas I stick with the cheapies, e.g. Showtime or E1.

FreeBIZZ
07-17-2006, 05:53 PM
I have been alternating between PB S&W and PB S&G on my red GTI with a Natty`s Blue topper. I generally wash every 5 days or so, just using a foam gun with PB SSS in it. I don`t even us a mitt. On the week when I am using S&W, I apply it during the drying wipe down drying process with my MF waffle weave. One the week I am using the S&G I dry completely, then apply the S&G with a MF.

Looks great and my carnauba topper is lasting very well.

ashsarna
07-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I just ordered a gallon of FK#425 because I wanted to ride on the bandwagon too.

Usually for carnubas I stick with the cheapies, e.g. Showtime or E1.

How is the 425 performing on carnuba?

I plan on trying several of these before I settle on one for a gallon (with several cars and my other family members, I will have a use for all :o ). Seems I gotta look into One Grand products (been awhile since I have heard of them).