PDA

View Full Version : Basic Detailing

lv2xlr8
07-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Well I`m pretty new to detailing and I`m only 17 so I wanted to give you guys a run down of what I use and get some feedback/criticisms on what I should be using.

NXT Generation Car Wax

Eagle 1 20/20 Glass Cleaner

Armor All Tire Foam

Armor All Multipurpose Cleaner

Tuff Stuff

I`m split between:

NXT tech wax paste

&

Black Magic - Liquid Wax

I know my list is very small and I don`t do many steps but I`d like to hopefully change it to something like this.

2000 Toyota Corolla - Lots of Scratches, Dings, Paint Chips & The whole 9 yards...i`d love to get a new paint job but don`t have the money for that...i just want the car to shine and i guess i can`t do much about the wearing of the paint

Ideal Process: (Suggestions on products would be nice and I`d love to hear what you use)

Glass

Wheels

Washing

Drying

Claying

Washing

Drying

Polish

Thanks in Advance

SVR
07-17-2006, 03:59 AM
No need to wash after claying, do it after the first wash and absorb lube with an ultra soft WW towel

Wheels - clay - polishing soap or blue job, prime strong or acrylic and klasse or AJ

Glass - clay - polish - seal with any sealant except UPP

For cleaning, prima slick or other QD is best option

Washing - prima mystique/jeffs werkstatt auto body 50/50 mix

(Use 1 - 2 oz of ONR to condition water)

Drying - pakshak, cobra or other waffle weave towels

Claying - clay magic red or blue

Polishing - lots of choices but optimum, menzerna, prima swirl and finish, hi temp or sonus are superb

lv2xlr8
07-17-2006, 04:51 AM
I have heard you have to wash after claying and wow lol what a products list. Can I get the condensed version? I`m new so I`m not really sure what all of those products are.

lv2xlr8
07-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Any of you other guys have some insight?

velobard
07-17-2006, 03:18 PM
I agree, no need to wash after claying. When you clay you use QD as a lube, then wipe down with MF, so no need for a wash.

For the basic process, you`ll be fine if you just follow the basics in the Learn section in the link at the top of this page.

SVR
07-18-2006, 04:26 AM
Well said, short and sweet unlike my over your head response

ezzzman
07-18-2006, 04:55 PM
i guess you wash your car after clay if u are going to polish your car

GeorgePaul
07-18-2006, 05:18 PM
i guess you wash your car after clay if u are going to polish your car

You shouldn`t have to. I don`t.

Accumulator
07-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Heh heh, if "wash after claying?" is the biggest conundrum that somebody`s facing then IMO they`re not having many problems ;)

Clay residue can be a pain and it doesn`t always wash off that easily. Better to not have residue in the first place. So rather than let it stick to the paint and trust a wash to get it off, I`d clay with plenty of lube and wipe the surface clean and dry with a *very* soft MF.

lv2xlr8- This stuff can be pretty basic and still work out well.

Maybe just get some Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Step #1 to use after the clay but before the NXT wax. Use it on the paint and the wheels: clay, DC#1, NXT- just that simple.

You can always get more involved, with more complicated product/process approaches, at a later date. Work on the wash technique- it`s very hard to wash a dirty car without scratching the paint up a bit.