PDA

View Full Version : I need some more DVD burner help, please...

Dave N
07-16-2006, 06:46 PM
A few days ago I posted for some help choosing a DVD burner and got lots of suggestions to buy from newegg.com. So, last week I ordered two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131031

They didn`t come with any software or documentation -- just the drive wrapped in bubble wrap. I installed one, thinking that Windows would recognize it, or at worst I would have to go to Sony`s website and download a driver. I`m using Win2000 Pro, and the drive popped up under the device manager, which lists it as a "Sony DW-Q120A", but it has the question mark and the drive does not show up under My Computer. I spent about an hour at work on Friday searching the web for a driver, but found absolutely nothing. I can`t find this drive listed anywhere on any of Sony`s websites.

Can anyone help?

AL-53
07-16-2006, 07:08 PM
that drive is a OEM drive meaning it is made for computer manufacturers..and not retail sales..so best bet would try to find a drive at sony`s site with same specs or close to...try that driver...but it should be accepted no problem...I have never loaded drivers for my burners...anyways try to get a burner close to your specs and try it..

Al

Dave N
07-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks -- I`ll try loading a Sony driver tomorrow.

atticdog
07-16-2006, 09:08 PM
you also need some burning software like nero

Dave N
07-17-2006, 05:46 PM
I dropped this into a WinXP machine today and it worked fine. I guess 2000 doesn`t support it natively. I found some DVD drives on the Sony website, but the "download driver" link just took me to a page that said Windows had all the drivers it needed already to run their DVD burners. We`ll probably just upgrade this machine to XP. I work at a university, so the institutional license is dirt cheap.

Next time I`ll know better than to buy an "OEM" product! If I would have bought a boxed drive, it probably would have come with a driver CD and some cheap program for burning DVDs.

One more thing, if anyone cares to answer... We will only be using the DVD burner for data backups. Do I still need a program like Nero for this? We wanted the DVD burner because DVDs have a larger capacity than CDs.