PDA

View Full Version : sheepskin mitts....pros and cons....

Envious Eric
07-15-2006, 03:30 PM
i just received my first today....bought one from excel detail - the one shaped like a hand

initial thoughts:

soft

wont scratch or mar

nicely shaped and comfortable to hold

initial use:

I dipped it into the wash bucket and the thing sucked to my hand like a suction cup....ok cool it will make it easier to hold onto inside the hand...while washing, it held a lot of water/soap....so much so that I was able to was one panel, then go back over it with the other side of the mitt because it helded solution still....

only thing I didnt like about it was that while it was really good for light dust situations, it did almost nothing for caked on dirt! I had to release my hand from the mitt and scrubb with my hand for a little bit to break it up then hit it with the mitt to clean the area

so....my thoughts on sheepskin - only for light dirt/dusty cars, not for the dirty ones!

wytstang
07-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Was the pressure from the hose not enough to break off the crude??

Envious Eric
07-15-2006, 05:44 PM
no it wasnt...I wasnt trying to beat it off with the hose though this time as I wanted to see what the mitt could/would do...had i used a pressure washer, sure it would have come off easier, but I was testing the mitt itself

z400
07-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I`ve used only a sheepskin and it CAN have a hard time on some really caked on stuff. However, i`ve always had that problem.

No need to scrub though. Don`t want marring! I would go over the surface two times.

tustah
07-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Just go over it a couple of times and it will fall off. Better yet, pre-treat it with wash soap and water before cleaning it.

ndtechie05
07-16-2006, 05:53 AM
i used mine last night, for the first time. i got the one recommended from wal-mart for $5. worked great. i wash my car every week so it wasn`t really dirty. i used to use the viking mf mit and this by far surpasses it.

jdthompson
07-16-2006, 08:09 AM
I`m not sure a sponge is any better for "baked on" crud? All I`ve found happens is that the sponge tends to tear.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Sheepskin washmits are gentle to the surface, therefore should be used in the same fashion. Dont expect any sheepskin you buy from anyone, to behave like a sponge.........

Envious Eric
07-16-2006, 10:59 AM
dont get me wrong, I wasnt trying to say the excel one is terrible, just that all sheepskins have a limit to what they can remove....mainly just light dust and dirt, not caked on substances....

Glowin97x
07-16-2006, 11:20 AM
also they are a PIA to dry as they are never dry on the inside when the outside feels dry. Ive taken to letting mine air dry and then using a hair dryer to get the inside good so no mold accumulates.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I just use them, rinse them, ring `em out, and hang `em over a bucket till next time.

Why do people feel like you have to baby these things?

imported_jaobrien6
07-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Are we talking mud? Like from off-roading? Or just heavy road grime? Because I`ve used sheepskin on everything short of caked on mud, and everything has always come off after going over a surface a couple of times with the mitt. Never had a problem with stuff not coming off, and never had to really scrub. :nixweiss

Accumulator
07-17-2006, 11:15 AM
I just use them, rinse them, ring `em out, and hang `em over a bucket till next time.

Why do people feel like you have to baby these things?

Heh heh, yeah, I agree. My negelectful treatment of my mitts borders on abuse, but after more than a year they`re still just fine.

And yeah... this talk of "caked on dirt" sorta :soscared: me, I assume we`re talking about offroading or something like that...I`d pretreat with a foamgun and use a foamgun/BHB combo for jobs like that. Only way I can imagine avoiding the marring.