PDA

View Full Version : Help Please, new to rotary, having some issues in the middle of current job!

imported_Lightman
07-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey guys. I`m doing a 2000 Eclipse right now, and it`s pretty much the first time I`ve used the rotary on anyone else`s vehicle. I had good results on my truck, removing all the swirls on my roof, but this eclipse is proving pretty stubborn. The swirls are everywhere and horrible. I`ve just been working on the hood so far, and figured I wouldn`t do the rest of the car until i got a combo or technique down that removed all the swirls. So far I have washed and clayed, and have been using a 6.5" megs yellow polishing pad and optimum compound, somewhere between 2 and 3 on my Makita, which I figure to be 1100-1200rpm. I`ve made a few passes over the entire hood doing 2x2 sections at a time, and am having better luck than on my first use controlling the machine. When i finish with this, slight hazing is there, which I removed with the PC and optimum polish. This process worked well on my 04 dodge, however it`s not removing all the swirls on this eclipse. I am out of town and don`t have the burgundy pad or my optimum hyper compound available. I`m assuming I need a more aggressive product, however maybe I`m missing something else, like rpm.. Looking to the experts for some advice here. I have access to a few auto parts stores, possibly they have some of the megs pro line there and I could get a slightly more aggressive compound to use with my yellow polishing pad? Help! Thanks in advance.

Envious Eric
07-15-2006, 03:34 PM
maybe try upping the speed, or making more passes....without other products you are kinda stuck IMO....if you had the hyper compound, you would be able to up the polish on the same pad and get better results....but thats not the case....sorry to be of no help....good luck to you

CelicaLover
07-15-2006, 03:34 PM
I would try more Rpm`s that will add a bit more cutting power. Try also using more product.

imported_Lightman
07-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Thx guys, so i will try a bit more product and faster speed, maybe 1400-1500, but do have access to auto parts stores. Is there a better OTC compound I could use and follow up with OP?

imported_Lightman
07-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Ok I`m back after an attempt around 1400. More swirls were removed but it`s not perfect..argghh I don` t want to spend the time on the whole car if it`s not going to come out right...hoping you guys will have some suggestions on OTC compounds I can use with my yellow megs pad. thx

Envious Eric
07-15-2006, 05:45 PM
maybe rebook for another day??? better than wasting your time today and another day, or doing the detail for free??? maybe offer a little discount, or added process for free?

imported_themightytimmah
07-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Megs #83 DACP is a good OTC compound to use in this situation.

imported_Lightman
07-17-2006, 06:33 PM
thx guys, couldn`t rebook as I was out in cali for just a day.. tried megs heavy cut cleaner but it was no better than OC. after a second pass with oc it removed most of the swirls, but a decent amount of scratches remained..oh well, 10 hours later the thing is looking super glossy and 1000x better..just not perfect..arghh. I did al of this for free for a good friend anyway, and she is super happy. thx for the tips. I`m still mad I didn`t bring my hyper compound.