PDA

View Full Version : Acids on wheels

Stuff
07-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Im talking to a friend to day telling him how dirty my car is and how happy I got more wheel cleaner (p21s) in the mail. He goes "what is it some type of acid?". Me "uh no you never want to use acids on wheels but a detergent based wheel cleaner is better and safer". Him "well at the dealership I use to work at we used acids. He went on to talk about how different acids were ok with metals and that it would not hurt the wheel if you used the right kinds and the rights dilutions. He then countiued to ramble all this chemistry stuff off that went over my head.

So who is right? I know I have read how stupid some dealership detailers are that is one of the main reasons I did not believe him. Also I remember directly from that fifth gear video detailer guy who said to never use acids on wheels. So am I nuts or is my friend?

stilez
07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
You are. Read on:

http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=6631269

crazynova23
07-13-2006, 05:00 PM
The carwash I currently work at (end of tunnel, good money), uses this junk called "non-acid wheel cleaner," and to remove hard water spots, they use a muratic acid/water mix, and charge like $50/panel. I generally tell people to go find a good pro detailer when they ask me about hard water spot removal at work.

awahl63
07-13-2006, 06:17 PM
The carwash I currently work at (end of tunnel, good money), uses this junk called "non-acid wheel cleaner," and to remove hard water spots, they use a muratic acid/water mix, and charge like $50/panel. I generally tell people to go find a good pro detailer when they ask me about hard water spot removal at work.

50 a panel...what a deal!

Stuff
07-14-2006, 01:23 AM
You are. Read on:

http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=6631269

uh that stuff does not sounds good. Glad to know I was right. The scary part is my friend worked at a really well know Mercedes dealership. Hate to know what else they are doing to the cars.

SVR
07-14-2006, 04:20 AM
No way will I use acids at all, not just on wheels too.

Hope this dude isn`t working on new cars

brwill2005
07-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Not all acid wheel cleaners contain HF or ABF. Those two are the strongest and most dangerous. There are very mild acid wheel cleaners available that do not contain those two ingredients. The fact is that an acidic wheel cleaner is more effective than an alkaline or detergent cleaner. The reason is that most soiling on wheels is non-organic. Non-organic soiling is best handled with an acidic cleaner. I have been using a mild acid wheel cleaner for a while now. I have never damaged paint, wheels coatings, or anything else with the product. In fact, it is also made to clean emblems and such. I have also never burned myself, or had any health related issues from using it.

Stuff
07-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Not all acid wheel cleaners contain HF or ABF. Those two are the strongest and most dangerous. There are very mild acid wheel cleaners available that do not contain those two ingredients. The fact is that an acidic wheel cleaner is more effective than an alkaline or detergent cleaner. The reason is that most soiling on wheels is non-organic. Non-organic soiling is best handled with an acidic cleaner. I have been using a mild acid wheel cleaner for a while now. I have never damaged paint, wheels coatings, or anything else with the product. In fact, it is also made to clean emblems and such. I have also never burned myself, or had any health related issues from using it.

Well then perhaps my friend is not completly crazy then.

awahl63
07-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Brad,

Which wheel cleaner are you using?

Stuff
07-15-2006, 01:21 AM
Brad,

Which wheel cleaner are you using?

I use p21s wheel cleaner gel. Everyone says it is safe and I feel that it works really good only bad part is the price.

brwill2005
07-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Andrew- I use Hi-Temp`s HT-710 wheel cleaner.