PDA

View Full Version : Sonus Leather Conditioner

TGates
07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
I had the pleasure of giving this stuff a whirl on the seats of my GTO a few days ago. I have been using Z10 religiously for several years now, and it is one of my very favorite conditioners out there. However, on my GTO`s seats, which are more textured than the smooth leather seats in my previous vehicles, the Z10 had a tendency to leave white crud in the pores and fine creases of these seats, regardless of how much or how little I used. Z10 works wonders on the smooth seats in my Z06, but it wasn`t cutting it on my GTO. I`m quite picky about my seats. So I went searching for something new. Tried Poorboy`s Leather Stuff.... it`s a good AIO product, but not spectacular. Tried Griot`s Leather Conditioner... couldn`t stand the smell. Tried the Meg`s offerings, they did nothing for me. I decided to try the Sonus offering since I have been quite pleased with the other Sonus products I have tried.

To my delight, this stuff is exactly what I was looking for. It goes on nice and "wet", enabling it to be spread around easily and thorougly. After that, just walk away and let it do its own thing. It dries to a perfect, natural warm glow every time and leaves NO white residue behind. No buffing, no scrubbing. It doesn`t smell like other leather conditioners I have tried. It smells more like the fine leather in the BMW 330Ci I test drove not too long ago. It`s a very distinct smell, and one that exudes quality, IMO, rather than that "hey look at me, I smell like a saddle" smell. The leather on my GTO probably doesn`t know what hit it.

Anyways, just thought I would share my praises about this product to anyone who may be looking for a fine leather conditioner.

The cleaner is equally as impressive, FWIW.

ashsarna
07-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Excellent info!!!

You touched on the main issues that I have (one car with smooth leather and one with pores). I also appreciated that you compared sonus to other highly regarded conditioners :goodjob .

lakbum
07-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Great. My car`s leather also has pores and I had problems with the conditioner from Meguiar`s where it would remain in the pores . I ordered the Sonus Leather Conditioner on a random whim about a week ago and I`m waiting for it to come in. Nice to hear that it will work!

RogueM3
07-12-2006, 07:25 AM
I have had very similar results. The conditioner is some of the best stuff I have used on my leather seats (both textured and smooth)

I found that the cleaner, however, was a bit lacking. Not bad, per se, but not the best either. YMMV.

-Richard

TGates
07-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Great. My car`s leather also has pores and I had problems with the conditioner from Meguiar`s where it would remain in the pores . I ordered the Sonus Leather Conditioner on a random whim about a week ago and I`m waiting for it to come in. Nice to hear that it will work!

Don`t be put off by the smell of the conditioner itself straight out of the bottle. Once it meets the leather, the aroma put off is a unique experience and one that I find quite a treat.

ZaneO
07-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Good to hear. Thanks for the report, Tyler. :)

TGates
07-12-2006, 08:04 AM
FWIW, I tried the Leather Care bundle fro the Autopia store which comes with an 8 oz. bottle of cleaner and conditioner and the two sided SFX applicator. I forget the colors now, but use the softer side for the conditioner and the rougher side for the cleaner. You can`t go wrong. I also love it on my steering wheel because it dries so natural, leaving no slippery or sticky mess behind. That was another complaint I had about the Griot`s... it left the surface feeling tacky or sticky. I`ve relegated it to use on my leather motorcycle jacket.

lakbum
07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
That`s the same bundle I ordered from Autopia (should be arriving today). Just wondering...how often do you guys apply the conditioner? Everytime you detail your cars?

TortoiseAWD
07-13-2006, 12:23 PM
That`s the same bundle I ordered from Autopia (should be arriving today). Just wondering...how often do you guys apply the conditioner? Everytime you detail your cars?From the Autopia Car Care website: "Sonus Leather Conditioner creates a durable, sealed finish that last for months. Recommended minimum usage is 2-3 times a year. Use monthly for extreme care of fine leather or to re-hydrate neglected leather."

If the car is a daily driver, you might condition the driver`s seat a little more frequently.

HTH,

Tort

TGates
07-13-2006, 01:33 PM
I condition my seats once or twice a month. This may be overkill but I haven`t seen any ill effects yet.... other than the white crud I once had to deal with. Not anymore :D