PDA

View Full Version : Might be taking the leap again.

Sneaky_Pete
03-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Hey everyone, I dont post alot on here, but man do I read! I have been really kicking the idea around about getting a shop running again. I have a few questions to throw your way, so please, anyone with insight post away!

1st - I notice alot of you use meguires, poor boys, etc.. what im wondering about is the chemical suppliers.. like a malco, or auto brite. ( dont know if those are regional or not?) The suppliers im talking about are the guys who show up in with the truck full of stuff to sell. Like the snap-on tool dealer for detailers. Anyone here use those kind of products? Have any imput about buying supplies from a dealer like that?

2nd - I live in a fairly small town of about 25,000 people. To the north of me is a town of about 45,000 people. The towns are only about 18 minutes apart. Now, people from the smaller town will easily travel to the bigger town to shop, and have things done. Rarely does it happen the other way around. Trouble is, I live in the smaller town, and really dont want to commute even though it is a short distance. Do you think that people would travel for a detail? and if so should I offer a shuttle service between the towns? If I did that I might as well just commute.. Ideas?

3rd - There are about 3 to 4 "detailers" in my town already.. Not to trash the competition, but honestly one of them is basically a car lots `````, one is a ex-marine, viet-nam veteran with some serious issues. ( not to take away from his service record ) Im just saying he has the reputation in town of just "snapping" One shop is an auto body / chop shop looking place, and the last one I wouldnt let them wipe my butt let alone touch my ride. All of them are going after the same clientele, and that is the "car lots" where you bust your ass doing a full detail for 65 bucks. Ive been there, done that, and thats not the market im shooting for. But still I wonder, is one more detail place too many?

4th - Money is pretty tight in my area, I dont see people paying much more then $150 to detail a large SUV, and less for cars. I am one of those people who likes to get paid for my efforts, and Im hoping to cater to a bit higher end client. How should I go about getting more money for my details? Besides the obvious of doing a fantastic job of it! I know I could get 2 - 300 for a detail once.. but regardless of how good of a job I do, I want the repeat business.. not just a one time detail... Ideas?

Ok thats whats been on my mind. Thanks in advance!

later

Sneaky_Pete

Schuma Detail
03-20-2005, 08:48 PM
2nd - I live in a fairly small town of about 25,000 people. To the north of me is a town of about 45,000 people. The towns are only about 18 minutes apart. Now, people from the smaller town will easily travel to the bigger town to shop, and have things done. Rarely does it happen the other way around. Trouble is, I live in the smaller town, and really dont want to commute even though it is a short distance. Do you think that people would travel for a detail? and if so should I offer a shuttle service between the towns? If I did that I might as well just commute.. Ideas?

3rd - There are about 3 to 4 "detailers" in my town already.. Not to trash the competition, but honestly one of them is basically a car lots `````, one is a ex-marine, viet-nam veteran with some serious issues. ( not to take away from his service record ) Im just saying he has the reputation in town of just "snapping" One shop is an auto body / chop shop looking place, and the last one I wouldnt let them wipe my butt let alone touch my ride. All of them are going after the same clientele, and that is the "car lots" where you bust your ass doing a full detail for 65 bucks. Ive been there, done that, and thats not the market im shooting for. But still I wonder, is one more detail place too many?

Sorry, I could only answer these two myself, considering im not much of an expert, but studying Business Sales, and having a certificate to recognise it I suppose could give me qualification to answer questions two and three. :)

To answer number two, I very much doubt that people would travel to your town if they rarely do so anyway. Even if it is only eighteen kilometres, im sure you would find that people in today`s world are "convenience frenzied". Meaning, that if they have a convenient option, which may be of lesser quality anyway, or a slightly unconvenient option, people will go directly to the convenient. Proven cases? Well consider MacDonalds. Damn they have food that almost taste plastic, but arent their services convenient, as compared to the corner milk-store? If you really wanted to enter into the market, I would say that you have to make the effort there, and instead of asking them to come to you, you go to them. People dont care how far YOU travel. :)

And as for number three, I wouldnt say at all that there isnt room for another detailer. Perhaps these guys may have the market so far, but there is never a scenario where there is no chance for you to break into a market, and squeeze the competition. Perhaps going for a more professional image could differ you from the competition? Target people who want and wish they were of the upper class, and make them feel like they are getting such a service. In the meantime, you dont actually have to, you just have to create the illusion that they are. :)

GLT Automotive
03-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Sneaky Pete -
I am much like you --- LOT`S of reding on this site --- I`m kind of new in the business. I actually got into it simply b/c I enjoyed detailing my own vehicles...My neighbor works on cars in his spare time (weekends and after work during the week) --- he does it for the love of cars, and he makes some nice spending money too...I live in a good size town, but have a full time job. One day I asked him about a Volvo he was working on...he said the guy was getting ready to sell it and he was going to take it somewhere to detail it...I told him whatever he was going to pay, I would beat the price (not knowing any better --- but mostly just to see how much better I could make the car look). I spent alot of time on it (Lord knows, I have learned a ton since that detail) and it came out great...The owner of the car was extremely impressed...Since then, my neighbor keeps bringing me more cars --- people he works with, people at our gym, people whose cars he works on, etc...

I guess what I am trying to say is word of mouth (for the type of clients you & I are trying to attract) goes a long way. I considered dropping some business cards at some local businesses, but I am as busy as I want to be (for now). I usually print an invoice w/ every detail showing the work I did, other service I offer (for their future reference) and most importantly a coupon offering $10 off next detail for any referral (no limit on # of referrals) oh yeah --- also include a few extra business cards --- The way I see it --- if they bring me 1 or 2 more clients --- obviously they liked my work (if they saw the vehicle) --- the existing client saves a few $ on their next detail (which keeps them coming back) and I now have another new customer...

In a small town, word of mouth can go farther than alot of other marketing techniques...

Seems like I saw another post that mentioned putting an ad in a church bulletin - people who know you already and are more willing to allow you to detail their cars. Another good idea in my opinion...

If you can get involved w/ someone who works on cars or has the means to get you a lot of business --- offer a free detail --- they certainly won`t object and you can bet they will tell people about you and show them your work...One free detailing job can often go a LONG way (if you know what I mean)...I washed my neighbors car the other day for free --- the way I see it...I wouldn`t have even started this w/out his help or his contacts...So I certainly want to keep him happy!

Sorry this is such a long post...Hope it helps!

GLT Automotive

Secret Chimp
03-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Draw a 5 mile circle around your shops location on a map. Thats were a bulk of your business is going to come from. So if that 5 mile circle doesn`t include both towns, you will get very little business from the larger town.

You should consider being mobile at least 2-3 days per week if you want to tap both towns for customers. You can concentrate the shop service for the locals in your town and focus the mobile business for the folks in the next town over. Thats the only way I can see you capitalizing on the potential of both towns.