PDA

View Full Version : question about polish

ezzzman
07-11-2006, 03:01 PM
how often do u guys polish your car

mikebai1990
07-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Well... It depends on a multitude of factors, including: Paint condition, garaged or not, type of polish used, layers of polish used, waxed used or not, sealant used or not. Some details would help...

ZaneO
07-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Well... It depends on a multitude of factors, including: Paint condition, garaged or not, type of polish used, layers of polish used, waxed used or not, sealant used or not. Some details would help...

I agree with the above.

*I* generally do a full two-step swirl removal polish once or twice a year.

Make sure you are using quality supplies and techniques to minimize the need for polishing.

imported_Chris223
07-11-2006, 03:22 PM
I polish every 3 months probably, on a day when I take nearly all day to do a full blown detail. But that`s with Sonus SFX-3 which isn`t abrasive and is more of a finishing polish. Polishes such as that can be used as often as you like.

awahl63
07-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Twice a year

Accumulator
07-11-2006, 03:38 PM
When? When the marring is too bad for me to be happy with how the car looks. Yeah, that`s very vague :o but it varies with the vehicle.

I keep the S8 very nice and it`s getting to the spot-polish-point now (it`s about 90-95%, you can only spot the flaws in certain lighting if you really look for them) and it`s been over two years since I last polished it. The MPV is still around that 90-95% point after more than a year and I use that vehicle hard. So every year and a half to two years for me on the ones I keep very nice and use sealants on.

Our other cars I don`t keep that nice and I`ll let them get a lot worse before I repolish them. I used to polish the Jag all the time in search of perpetual perfection, but years of doing that thinned the paint and taught me a valuable, if depressing, lesson (now I really can`t correct it at all). So on those vehicles I use products with fillers and top with carnaubas.

RIDS are different, I`ll remove/improve them as they show up; the above refers to general marring which, IMO, usually happens during the wash.

Brian_Brice
07-11-2006, 03:42 PM
yeah im with accuulator, if very minimal swirls exist on my paint i see them and definitely consider polishing, but more often than not ill let it go for a while. that way i keep a full on polish detail down to about once every ten months or so.

ezzzman
07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
i had purchased a pc7336 yesterday and just for wondering what brand of pads & backing plate do u guys use (6"/5")

ZaneO
07-11-2006, 03:59 PM
i had purchased a pc7336 yesterday and just for wondering what brand of pads & backing plate do u guys use (6"/5")

As I replied in your other thread - 5" flexible backing plate and 6.5" pads.

imported_smprince1
07-11-2006, 05:01 PM
For me, full exterior detail twice a year (strip, clay, swirl removal/polish, sealant, wax). I use the least aggressive polish/swirl remover to get the job done.

Spring and Fall.

imported_MCA
07-11-2006, 07:47 PM
I have only used IP/FPII on my car twice via PC (Black 2003 Mazda6). I try to focus on proper washing/drying techniques to minimize the need. I`m keeping this car for the long run so minimizing the need now will definitely help years later.