PDA

View Full Version : My swirls are back?! WHY

Pages : [1] 2 3

sftempest66
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Hey guys, well I wrote a detailed writeup with pictures in the click and brag section, http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74170 and I looked at the car today and there were still some light swirls on the car....I`m not sure why or how this has happened, does anyone want to enlighten me on how this happens?

awahl63
07-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Did you see the swirls in the sun or under the halogens?

sftempest66
07-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Did you see the swirls in the sun or under the halogens?

I`m seeing the swirls in direct sunlight

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/sftempest66/IMG_4407.jpg

(sorry the car is filthy but I recognized them immediately :bawling: :help: :(

imported_Grouse
07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
has it been washed since your polish and seal?

sftempest66
07-11-2006, 02:23 PM
has it been washed since your polish and seal?

nope, its just been sitting

klnyc
07-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Are you using 2 buckets method?

sftempest66
07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Are you using 2 buckets method?

usually I will only wash the paint with one mit, and if the car is dirty I will use two different buckets of soap/water if thats what you mean?

imported_Grouse
07-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Well lets go through your process on the last detail to the current wash.

Please take the time to outline every aspect of the paint detail you can. from start up to the point you posted this thread.

superstring
07-11-2006, 02:29 PM
I`m seeing the swirls in direct sunlight.

Did you look at the car under direct sun immediately after the detail or just the halogens? (Personally I don`t trust halogens to reveal all!!)

sftempest66
07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Well lets go through your process on the last detail to the current wash.

Please take the time to outline every aspect of the paint detail you can. from start up to the point you posted this thread.

ok, wash, (the car had been clayed previously), and then chamois the car, dry it up with the microfiber, then I began testing since it was my first time, so I used the optimum compound, with a LC orange pad, on speed 4500, let it haze over, used a microfiber to buff it out, almost all swirls were gone, then I used the white pad with optimum polish, let it haze a lil, then took it off by hand, finally I applied a coat of Poorboys EX with caranuba to the car by HAND and let it dry, etc off with a microfiber....

Did you look at the car under direct sun immediately after the detail or just the halogens? (Personally I don`t trust halogens to reveal all!!)

maybe thats what is wrong? :(, this would suck if I had to do the whole car again :(

imported_Grouse
07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I was more refering to the exact process.

IE how you wash, how you dry, how you buff.

Did you use a 50/50% alchohol water solution to wipe off the OPC? possibly the OP polish and OPC left some minor filling.

what did you use to apply the ex?

sftempest66
07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I was more refering to the exact process.

IE how you wash, how you dry, how you buff.

Did you use a 50/50% alchohol water solution to wipe off the OPC? possibly the OP polish and OPC left some minor filling.

what did you use to apply the ex?

I did not use any solution to wipe off the OPC or the OP, I used different microfibers for each product though, but I didnt use a solution or a quick detail spray, I wash with a clean mitt, soap from pep boys, running from the roof down to the running boards, making sure not to get the mitt dirty until the last part of the car, then I use a chamois and do the same process, and with buffing I use the pad, put some compound on the pad and slowly work each fender/hood/roof area, I set the PC on 4500 RPM and then I dont press down but I let the PC do the work, and make sure to go relatively slow....more detailed then that? should I use a mixture to help wipe off the compound? I`m confused and I`m new to all of these new products

imported_Grouse
07-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I am not familiar with OP products, but that was my understanding of the reason why to use a 50/50 mix. It removes all the polish incase it is hiding some swirls. It lets you see your true work. if i am mistaken in this one of the more knowledgable guys will let us know.

sftempest66
07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
I am not familiar with OP products, but that was my understanding of the reason why to use a 50/50 mix. It removes all the polish incase it is hiding some swirls. It lets you see your true work. if i am mistaken in this one of the more knowledgable guys will let us know.

hmm alright, Well would you use a solution of water and say "rubbing alcohol" in a spray bottle and then lightly mist the area after the compound? or would you spray it on your microfiber

imported_Grouse
07-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I spray it on the paint. I use Isopropyl alcohol. I am not sure if that is rubbing alcohol or not... 50/50

then liberally spray the worked area. wipe it off. inspect it.