PDA

View Full Version : Garden Hose Filter Idea

kompressornsc
07-11-2006, 06:09 AM
For those of you who use a garden hose filter, here`s a little system I worked out. And I got mine from the pwgazzette site always mentioned on here, but I would think it would work for any rechargeable filter.

First, I mounted the bracket / canister to the side of the house, right behind the hose reel, and ran a leader hose from the faucet to the canister, and then hooked the hose reel leader to the out end of the canister. Now, by big issue was `I don`t want to filter the water 100% of the time`. So, what I do is only insert the filter cartridge when I want filtered water, and just run the canister empty for watering the yard, etc. I checked with where I bought it and they said no problem to do it that way.

So, the next question that comes up is `What do I do with the wet cartridge?`. I picked up one of those tall cylindrical spaghetti containers from Bed Bath and Beyond-problem solved. Now here`s the neat part. It`s large enough that I can put a handful of salt crystals in the bottom of it to recharge the filter while it`s in storage. No mess, no emptying pans w/ sal````er, etc.

The only thing I need to change is to put a shut off valve at the inlet of the filter to release the water pressure so I can more easily swap from no filter to filter. Right now, I am shutting the hose off (faucet is 50 feet away), but the shut off valve will make it an even quicker process. Should be less than a minute to go from `no rinse to rinse` mode.

I was trying to figure out a way to quickly connect and disconnect the entire filter, but it was going to take so many quick connects and shut off valuves, until I happened onto this method.

n2_space
07-11-2006, 09:57 AM
For those of you who use a garden hose filter, here`s a little system I worked out. And I got mine from the pwgazzette site always mentioned on here, but I would think it would work for any rechargeable filter.

First, I mounted the bracket / canister to the side of the house, right behind the hose reel, and ran a leader hose from the faucet to the canister, and then hooked the hose reel leader to the out end of the canister. Now, by big issue was `I don`t want to filter the water 100% of the time`. So, what I do is only insert the filter cartridge when I want filtered water, and just run the canister empty for watering the yard, etc. I checked with where I bought it and they said no problem to do it that way.

So, the next question that comes up is `What do I do with the wet cartridge?`. I picked up one of those tall cylindrical spaghetti containers from Bed Bath and Beyond-problem solved. Now here`s the neat part. It`s large enough that I can put a handful of salt crystals in the bottom of it to recharge the filter while it`s in storage. No mess, no emptying pans w/ sal````er, etc.

The only thing I need to change is to put a shut off valve at the inlet of the filter to release the water pressure so I can more easily swap from no filter to filter. Right now, I am shutting the hose off (faucet is 50 feet away), but the shut off valve will make it an even quicker process. Should be less than a minute to go from `no rinse to rinse` mode.

I was trying to figure out a way to quickly connect and disconnect the entire filter, but it was going to take so many quick connects and shut off valuves, until I happened onto this method.

I`ll have to take a pic of my set up... I have the filter mounted on a piece of 2x4 next to the hose reel that is screwed into a cement block. I have a leader hose to the canister, and then you of course have the leader hose to the reel. I heave brass quick disconnects on everything, so all I do is take off the leader hose from the reel and put it on the outlet if I want and diconnect the leader hose to the filter (I can plug it into the outlet side instead of having it hanging there instead). Simply put it back on when I want filtered water. Really easy, takes all of 5 seconds.

Edit - I didn`t see you said your hose shut off was 50 ft away. Maybe a pair of Y splitters with shutoffs will do the trick for you ;)

kompressornsc
07-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Edit - I didn`t see you said your hose shut off was 50 ft away. Maybe a pair of Y splitters with shutoffs will do the trick for you ;)

That was my first though-a pair of `Y`s to use as a bypass-one leader going through the filter, the other around it. But I figured with that many connections, I run the risk of leaks. I was looking at two Y connectors, 2 leaders to run through the filter side, 1 leader for the bypass for a total of 4 connections on the filter side, two on the non-filter side, and two going into the `Y`s, for a grand total of 8 connections in a 2 foot space. Leak city...

wannafbody
07-11-2006, 02:31 PM
they have Carbon RV water filters that attach to a spigot at Walmart for $18. that would be cheap and easy- claims to remove quite a bit of stuff.

n2_space
07-14-2006, 12:38 PM
That was my first though-a pair of `Y`s to use as a bypass-one leader going through the filter, the other around it. But I figured with that many connections, I run the risk of leaks. I was looking at two Y connectors, 2 leaders to run through the filter side, 1 leader for the bypass for a total of 4 connections on the filter side, two on the non-filter side, and two going into the `Y`s, for a grand total of 8 connections in a 2 foot space. Leak city...

Get some good QD`s... I get some hefty brass ones at Lowe`s and don`t have leaks.