PDA

View Full Version : Volvo owners rejoice; others take note.......

stainbuster
03-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Well, the old brick has met its maker. She was t-boned in the rear pass. quarter by a 2003 Hyundai Sonata spinning me 270 degrees. Fortunately neither of us were injured.

The front bumper, front pass. quarter and wheel were practically in the windhield, instantly totalling the Hyundai.

The brick suffered a good bit of damage as you can see in the pic, but I was able to drive it off to a friend`s car lot. Needless to say, the Sonata was hauled off on a rollback.

It was time to just let her go in peace (1990 with 256k faithful miles), so I`ve sinced decided to strip many new parts (CD changer, tailgate supports, dog gate, and various other parts) to have for back-up on the replacement car, a 1991 740 Turbo wagon with the sport package and only 146k miles.

Purchased the red wagon yesterday for a rediculously good price. This is now my 4th Volvo with no end in sight.

Attached are a few pics. First, the wrecked wagon, then the new one I bought yesterday. Also, a tan 240 sedan a friend had a head-on collision in some time ago. Combined speed in that wreck was over 90 mph. My buddy John was treated and released at the scene for minor cuts and bruises. The other driver in a mid 90`s S-10 was transported with severe neck and shoulder injuries, a broken foot and forearm.

Just another testament to legendary Volvo safety.

Regards,

Mike

jaybs02
03-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Glad to hear that you`re alright Mike.
It looks like you found a nice replacement.
Volvo does make a safe car and do some high miles on them.

I was looking for one last year when my car died, but there wasn`t many of them. people seem to keep them for a long time

Hawaiianelement
03-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Glad to hear everyones in good health . You`ll be spending some time buffing that one out I`m sure..Congrats on the good negotiating skills ..

stainbuster
03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Yes Jaybs95, many owners hang on to them for a while. See that you drive a Sonata prev. gen.

Must say that despite the physical damage to both cars was more than "enough", the Sonata`s safety systems preformed as expected.

Hawaii, `that`ll buff right out` as they say :) The red wagon has some clear delaminating on the hood, as per shoddy re-spray requirements. The rest of the body and paint are solid, minus some slight SS oxidation on the upper surfaces.

Look for pics next week. Maybe I`ll do the bumpers the same day who knows...
thanks for the well wishes....

Car wrecks suck. Gettin` out alright is even better.

Regards, Mike