PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a Cyclo?

Pages : [1] 2

eyeguy
07-10-2006, 04:46 PM
I polished up my Civic this weekend and was left unimpressed with my PC. Problem is, the slightest bit of pressure stopped the pad from rotating. It felt like any more pressure than the weight of the PC alone and it just stopped rotating.

Will the Cyclo allow a little more pressure to be applied? I know on horizontal surfaces the weight of the Cyclo alone should get the job done, but for more stubborn spots, can I add some more pressure without it bogging down?

Somebody give me one good reason to buy another toy. Really, I only need one good reason! :grinno: :grinno:

MBurnickas
07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Refer to my Sig, although I haven`t tried a Cyclo and I definetly want to try one, I think the next thing you should get is a saw buddy, Makita 9227.

Joshua312
07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
With the cyclo it seems as if most users agree that pressure isnt needed because the weight of the machine does the work. I really want a cyclo as well :( However I dont have an extra $220 laying around - Lucky you :) :bow

eyeguy
07-10-2006, 05:24 PM
The thought has crossed my mind, but I don`t know if I`m ready. Plus I like the fact I can do some interior work with the Cyclo as well. With Honda`s NBP paint I`m just a little scared to hit it with a rotary. I stared too long at it after I got done polishing it and it scratched. Well not really, but we all know how soft it is.

brwill2005
07-10-2006, 05:26 PM
The Cyclo will not bog down even under heavy pressure. It is a great polisher that when combined with the correct pads and polishes, can do some significant cutting.

eyeguy
07-10-2006, 05:27 PM
With the cyclo it seems as if most users agree that pressure isnt needed because the weight of the machine does the work. I really want a cyclo as well :( However I dont have an extra $220 laying around - Lucky you :) :bow

Well, I just started a new job with a decent raise, so I`m just wanting to reward myself some.

eyeguy
07-10-2006, 05:30 PM
The Cyclo will not bog down even under heavy pressure. It is a great polisher that when combined with the correct pads and polishes, can do some significant cutting.

That`s good news. Every horizontal panel on my car has tiny water etches all over. The PC just didn`t seem to get the job done. This was with SSR 2.5 as well.

Capt. Paintball
07-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, I just started a new job with a decent raise, so I`m just wanting to reward myself some.

Well, brother, I say treat yourself! You deserve it! When I buy a Cyclo, I`m getting the gold one!

Scottwax
07-10-2006, 05:48 PM

Same here.

Not real fond of the green Cyclo polishing pads though, the surface seems a bit rough for a polishing pad and it is pretty thin. I`ve had some minor marring issues with them on softer paints. The green Propel lite cut pads though, absolutely rock! Slightly larger diameter and about twice as thick. The surface follows the contours of the paint a lot better. The rest of the Cyclo pads are pretty good though.

eyeguy
07-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Same here.

Not real fond of the green Cyclo polishing pads though, the surface seems a bit rough for a polishing pad and it is pretty thin. I`ve had some minor marring issues with them on softer paints. The green Propel lite cut pads though, absolutely rock! Slightly larger diameter and about twice as thick. The surface follows the contours of the paint a lot better. The rest of the Cyclo pads are pretty good though.

I`ll have to remember to stay away from the green pads. BTW, I`ve been looking at getting this from Top of the Line for $220. Are they good to deal with or is there a better deal out there?

imported_TheFiveO
07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Well being the proud owner of all three tools, I say, buy the Cyclo but be aware of it`s limitations. While I am using the Cyclo more and more, I agree with ScottWax in that with the wrong pads, it seems to micromar the finish and sometimes you can also run in to areas that the Cyclo won`t fit into. Additionally, remember that the PC is not designed to "rotate". While the head will rotate under it`s own weight, it oscillates when pressure is applied. This is the design function of the tool and why PC`s are much less prone to damaging the paint.

Hope some of this helps!! PS.. If ya have that PC for sale for cheap... :getdown

eyeguy
07-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Well being the proud owner of all three tools, I say, buy the Cyclo but be aware of it`s limitations. While I am using the Cyclo more and more, I agree with ScottWax in that with the wrong pads, it seems to micromar the finish and sometimes you can also run in to areas that the Cyclo won`t fit into. Additionally, remember that the PC is not designed to "rotate". While the head will rotate under it`s own weight, it oscillates when pressure is applied. This is the design function of the tool and why PC`s are much less prone to damaging the paint.

Hope some of this helps!! PS.. If ya have that PC for sale for cheap... :getdown

I was under the impression that the pad would rotate even under decent pressure. It still oscillates fine but what seems to be slight pressure will just stop the rotation completely. I guess I just want a little more than the PC delivers now. It still works fine for a LSP though and I`ll use it with the bigger pads.

Man my wife`s gonna kill me. Have you ever seen a kid that gets that gift for Christmas or his B-Day that everybody objects to except that one relative. I feel like Ralphie getting an authentic Red Ryder BB gun. :Geezx :woot2:

Evenflow
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I dont know, maybe there was some user error here?

Everyone underestimates the PC. I have seen it take out some pretty bad defects/swirls/what have you.

eyeguy
07-10-2006, 07:08 PM
May have been some user error. I`m not too proud to admit it. I just think some of the work could have been completed faster and more completely with the Cyclo. My big thing too is that I`m SLOW. Thorough but slow none the less.

Hell, I just want another toy in the arsenal.

RCBuddha
07-10-2006, 07:52 PM
The green Propel lite cut pads though, absolutely rock! Slightly larger diameter and about twice as thick. The surface follows the contours of the paint a lot better. The rest of the Cyclo pads are pretty good though.

Hee hee...just wait till you try the rightlook backing plates...