PDA

View Full Version : Hand polish or buy PC?

fireman
07-10-2006, 07:53 AM
I have been hand polishing and waxing my own cars for years. After reading this site I am considering buying a PC. Will it be worth it? Is there a big difference in final results? My truck has light swirls in it (from a dealers body shop, after they fixed my dent). Very upsetting. Will a PC will give me better results overall? Do you think i can get the swirls out by hand? The swirls don`t look to deep, looks like they used a bad towel to dry it after washing. The truck is charcoal in color. I just ordered menzerna products. Thanks for any advice. Any suggestions for applying FMJ? By the way, great web site!!!! Thanks to Everyone!!!

awahl63
07-10-2006, 08:23 AM
The PC will definately be worth it. You can probably get the swirls out by hand but it would take a very long time and a lot of elbow grease. Which Menzerna products did you order and welcome to the site!

Accumulator
07-10-2006, 09:48 AM
fireman- Welcome to Autopia.

Yeah, if there`s any way you can swing the cost, get the PC (or maybe my preferred unit, the Cyclo).

Never tried FMJ, but the general advice for such products will no doubt apply: put it on very thin.

TN9thSi
07-10-2006, 11:09 AM
A PC and an assortment of pads is a must-have tool for the serious automotive enthusiast. Regardless of your detailing routine, minor swirs and light scratches are a constant threat, especially on a daily driver. Honing your washing and detailing technique can greatly reduce the frequency and amount of swirl marks, but it`s nealry impossible to 100% avoid them. Having the PC at your disposal will make ocassional polishing a breeze. It`s also useful for applying glazes and sealants. I would be lost without mine, I can tell you that much. At fisrt, I ddin`t think I needed a PC, but after having some warranty paint work done on my car and the shop leaving buffer holograms all over my door, I finally relented and have never looked back.

BobD
07-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I am prefering the Cyclo over my PC now-a-days but either one is a huge step over hand polishing.

fireman
07-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the input. I notice when I polish/wax my truck, it shines very nice, but the reflections are blurry looking. (images reflected are not crisp) I`m hoping the Menzerna products will give me better results. If not, I will be getting a PC to try out. Thanks again.

autoprincess
07-11-2006, 01:39 PM
The main thing with a high speed buffer is that it heats up the paint that you can not really achieve with by doing it by hand, plus it gives much better results. You will notice a difference. Just make sure you use the correct pads and buffing cream when you step out to use the buffer. I use the Dewalt (Variable High Speed)

juanzo007
07-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Yo, fireman...

As a fellow fireman (SFFD), I can assure you that the PC is firefighter-proof. Like you, I did everything by hand prior, and the PC now makes the polishing process very quick, safe, and effective. I also found that with a finishing pad, it makes applying even, thin coats of sealants quite simple (Zaino, in my case). It`s a must-have tool, IMHO, just don`t bring it to the station!

Removing swirls with a pc I think is doable, but search the posts on this site. These guys have tried most every conceivable method and material available.

Stay safe, bro...

maxpower
07-15-2006, 04:40 PM
I have been hand polishing and waxing my own cars for years. After reading this site I am considering buying a PC. Will it be worth it? Is there a big difference in final results? My truck has light swirls in it (from a dealers body shop, after they fixed my dent). Very upsetting. Will a PC will give me better results overall? Do you think i can get the swirls out by hand? The swirls don`t look to deep, looks like they used a bad towel to dry it after washing. The truck is charcoal in color. I just ordered menzerna products. Thanks for any advice. Any suggestions for applying FMJ? By the way, great web site!!!! Thanks to Everyone!!!

FMJ is an excellent product. you can apply with a pc or by hand using a foam or microfiber pad. it is very easy to apply and remove by hand and will give you an amazing finish. FMJ should be the very last product you apply after your wash/polish routine.

max