PDA

View Full Version : Which of these products will fill in swirls the best?

kpagel
07-07-2006, 05:57 PM
I`m currently detailing my buddy`s black 2000 Acura Integra. I have until the end of the weekend with it, so I`m taking my time. Anyways, its never been detailed, so obviously its full of swirls and other marring. A combo of rotary and PC work has removed about 90-95% of the defects in this neglected 6 year old paint job, but seeing as this is the first time I`ve done a black car thats this bad I don`t want to keep working in products in order to get everything out. So instead of possibly over-polishing, I`d like to fill in the remaining defects with an LSP.

I simply have a bad habit of buying new waxes/sealants, and I haven`t even used most of this stuff, so I have no idea how some of it works as far as filling. Instead of doing test panel after test panel to see what works, I figured I`d get some input here first. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My list of products

-Klasse AIO

-Klass SG

-Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax

-P21S

-Natty`s Blue

-Souveran

-Meg`s 16

-Meg`s 26

-Meg`s NXT

-Meg`s 21

-Z2 (the old formula, not the Pro stuff)

-Mothers Reflections Wax and Top Coat

-Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

-Meg`s #5 and #7 (I know, they`re not waxes)

I`m thinking I`ll go with AIO and SG as I believe I`ve been told this can help hide some defects, then go with Meguiars #5 or #7 because the polishing oils will do some filling, then top it off with a carnuba. What do you guys think?

Bigpoppa3346
07-07-2006, 06:20 PM
From what I hear, AIO and SG reveal all swirls and are not forgiving anything on less that perfect paintwork. NXT or Natty`s Blue most likely fill the most of all those listed.

kpagel
07-07-2006, 06:25 PM
From what I hear, AIO and SG reveal all swirls and are not forgiving anything on less that perfect paintwork. NXT or Natty`s Blue most likely fill the most of all those listed.

Good to know. I was either misinformed, or just mixing up what I was told before. Thanks.

Now I`m thinking NXT, #7, carnuba.

Brian_Brice
07-07-2006, 06:25 PM
agreed bigpoppa, i used the k twins strictly for about a six month strecth, never noticed any sort of disguising, guess it doesnt hurt to properly polish i suppose but nonetheless id say its more a magnifying glass than a camo product.

honkeybizkit
07-07-2006, 06:40 PM
#7 with #16 over it will probably give you the best results of what you have.

Accumulator
07-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, skip the Klasse twins unless you can get things virtually perfect.

#7/#16. If the #7 is too tricky to use (don`t let it dry before buffing it ;) ) then use the #5/#16 instead.

FWIW, I *REALLY* like #5/#16 even if it doesn`t look quite as good; it`s just *SO* easy to do and it usually looks good enough (we`re splitting hairs here).

spotpad
07-08-2006, 04:45 PM
So instead of possibly over-polishing, I`d like to fill in the remaining defects with an LSP.

Good idea.

I`m thinking I`ll go with AIO and SG as I believe I`ve been told this can help hide some defects, then go with Meguiars #5 or #7 because the polishing oils will do some filling, then top it off with a carnuba. What do you guys think?

AIO and SG? Bad idea unless the finish is flawless.

I`d suggest you follow Accumulator`s advice and use #5. As for the LSP, I`d go with #21 just because it`ll last longer than carnauba. :D

I simply have a bad habit of buying new waxes/sealants, and I haven`t even used most of this stuff, so I have no idea how some of it works as far as filling.

Welcome to the club! :LOLOL It never ends! :nervous2:

Alfisti
07-08-2006, 07:29 PM
The only thing with #21 is that it contains cleaners and may remove some of the glaze. #16 doesn`t contain cleaners, has decent hiding abilities, and probably lasts as long (maybe longer?) as #21.

Todd@RUPES
07-08-2006, 07:31 PM
I personally think that 16 lasts as long as 21, I guess I`m wierd...

I also have had mixed results applying 21 on top of 7 including really bad streaking and smearing, espically on black..

honkeybizkit
07-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I find #7 is somewhat easy to use when you; Use Sparingly and do not remove it all at once. I like to apply over the entire vehicle and then only remove about 30% of the product, move to the next panel.... I like to break it up and only remove 30% each pass. Using a MF towel usually is too efficient, I use a soft diaper cloth. I go around the car about 3 times to fully remove it. Make sure to do it in the shade/garage and have a cool panel. Good luck.

kpagel
07-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all the help, I`ll probably do #7 and #16.