PDA

View Full Version : Painting cinder block walls

DETAILKING
07-07-2006, 12:18 PM
My garage has very porous cinder block walls. I want to paint them white or grey, but don`t know what to use. I fear that the paint will just seep into the blocks and look like crap because they are so porous. I don`t want to deal with having to apply 3-4 coats of anything either. What should I use? I was thinking of using DRY-LOCK paint that you would use in basements because it seems to have a very thick consistancy and might get the best coverage.

Thanks in advance.

BobD
07-07-2006, 12:28 PM
I would not use Drylock or any of that "water proofing" stuff. You could get 20 coats of regular paint on before you get one coat of that stuff one because it is so thick. I would just go to the paint store or hardware and get a primer made for black walls and then put a coat of paint on it. That is what I just did in one wall of my basement.

kompressornsc
07-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Just use a dedicated masonry primer + paint. I`ve used a few differnet ones over the years on a wall that divided my courtyard from my neighbors. Actually help up better than the paint on my house clapboards. Most large maint manufacturerrs make a masonry product. Just get a roller with a good thick nap.

Mark McGuire
07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Get a good commercial grade block filler, two coats of a good quailty paint, and your good to go. :xyxthumbs

DETAILKING
07-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys, I am gonna hit lowes this weekend and see what they have.

D Tailor
07-12-2006, 07:32 PM
I just finished my garage. I used Drylock for 500sq/ ft of wall space and it took me about 5 hours to apply two coats (10 gallons). It was thick enough to fill cracks and some smaller holes. I am very happy with the results.

jimmybuffit
07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Rather than Lowe`s, maybe a pro paint store like Porter Paints or Sherwin Williams...

Jim

Cork
07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Definately use a block filler before paint if your looking for a gloss finish.