PDA

View Full Version : Noob Detailer, any help for this situation?

G35Man
07-05-2006, 09:02 PM
First of all, I`d like to thank everyone in this community for pouring forth your knowledge about detailing and products, which has led me to my first honeymoon with the PC!

My first experience with the PC was with Poorboy`s SSR 2, and it did remove some of the swirls/scratches/marring from inexperienced washing and putting it through the *gasp* automated washes (not anymore since I do have more time on my hands; law school owns my life) , and finished with Poorboy`s Polish with Carnauba, which was then topped with Natty`s Blue. However, there are these white specks, and I really don`t know what they are (maybe paint), and what would you autopians do to remedy this?

First I would like to apologize for the unbearable discoloration and quality in these photos, as they were taken with a terrible digicam.

the two lines on the front edge of the hood are actually dog hair...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/eddwin/1.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/eddwin/2.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/eddwin/3.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/eddwin/4.jpg

Do you think I need to use a stronger compound? I do have Optimum Compound coming through Brown to top with Menzerna`s FP2. You think I should give this to a pro with a rotary or something stronger? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, if you think a Pro should handle this tragedy, could you point me to one who can service the Northern (bergen/passaic county) New Jersey area? I`ve had experience with a local "professional detailer" who`s idea of a full service for $200 was a hand wash and a cleaner wax! I would rather trust your suggestions for a recommendation.

THAnk you!

Deviant
07-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Were these white specs there before you polished? Kinda looks like slung polish to me. If that`s the case a wipedown w/ a QD should take it off.

G35Man
07-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Were these white specs there before you polished? Kinda looks like slung polish to me. If that`s the case a wipedown w/ a QD should take it off.

Negative Deviant, they were there before and I did do some very slow passes with the PC and they still wouldn`t come off...

They have been there for a while, and countless washes/waxes still haven`t done anything to them.

G35Man
07-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Sorry to bump, but any help is appreciated! :bow

imported_Amused
07-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Did you clay your car prior to polishing? Are those white specs pitted in the paint? Gently glide your had over the paint and see if it`s smooth or bumpy. It could be several things. Let us know what you find.

autobahn
07-06-2006, 02:05 PM
umm, could they be rock chips??!

blackf0rk
07-06-2006, 02:37 PM
umm, could they be rock chips??!

That`s what they look like to me, but the flash from camera`s can play havoc on things and make objects not look as they are. But I have seen plenty-a-car with paint like this on the front. Not much you can do asde from wetsanding...even then it may be fruitless (depending on the severity/deepness of the chips).

You don`t follow SUV`s, pickups, and dump-trucks do you? :nono

autobahn
07-06-2006, 02:56 PM

I wish avoiding rock chips was only that easy.....

:\

My GTI has an absolute metric ton of rock chips, and it`s so depressing.

G35Man
07-06-2006, 04:57 PM
That`s what they look like to me, but the flash from camera`s can play havoc on things and make objects not look as they are. But I have seen plenty-a-car with paint like this on the front. Not much you can do asde from wetsanding...even then it may be fruitless (depending on the severity/deepness of the chips).

I did run my hand over those specks, and it does feel a bit bumpy... but more like it`s sticking "out" of the bumper, instead of being concaved like the bumper was penetrated.

Honestly I don`t tailgate, but I do speed a lot, like 10-15 mph over the limit on highways... but with no cars in front of me? And if someone`s blocking the fast lane, I just slow down and keep at least 5-7 cars distance until they move aside. I`m at a loss... the roads around my area are notorious for being potholed, bumpy, dirty, etc.. I think that`s all of northern jersey.. :cry:

Does anyone or know of anyone who serves the Northern Jersey area? I would gladly take it to someone with credibility and one who frequents Autopia so I`m comfortable!

G35Man
07-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Did you clay your car prior to polishing? Are those white specs pitted in the paint? Gently glide your had over the paint and see if it`s smooth or bumpy. It could be several things. Let us know what you find.

The very first time I went for a full detail I did clay the white specks, but this was outdoors and without any focused lighting... and then when I went to re-wax the car with suitable halogen lighting, I saw them...

blackf0rk
07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
If they`re sticking out, I thought of these two:

1. Paint nubs (errors from factory painting)

2. Tree sap - really bad hardened stuck-on stuff.

Maybe?

G35Man
07-06-2006, 09:02 PM
If they`re sticking out, I thought of these two:

1. Paint nubs (errors from factory painting)

2. Tree sap - really bad hardened stuck-on stuff.

Maybe?

Is there a detailing remedy for any of those two issues? Would taking it to a professional detailer with much more equipment be my best shot?

Thanks for the help everyone, I really do appreciate it tremendously! :hifive:

Pittssteelers
07-08-2006, 03:54 AM
It could be road paint? But to remove this needs some serious experience! To see if it is, try using some thinner in an area that wouldn`t be too noticeable and see if it would rub off with it.