PDA

View Full Version : There doesn`t seem to be enough info on this...

golfdude
07-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Recently, I have gotten into polishing chrome...the problem is, though, that this site seems to have little to almost zero information on polishing chrome and other metals. I read DavidB`s thread on polishing metal, but it never really mentioned what to look for when evaluating a metal surface that has just been polished? In paint, detailers look for clarity of shine and non-existence of swirls after a proper polishing...when polishing metals, especially chrome, are we also supposed to be looking for a complete elmination of swirls? I would greatly appreciate if someone describes for me proper metal polishing techniques so I can improve my own methods of polishing. I just got finished polishing an improperly maintained sport bike exhaust, and the finish was improved via EO wadding polish and some liquid brasso, but the results weren`t as good as I can make neglected paint look. I saw swirls within the chrome and I was wondering if I should of kept going or not...I spent 2 hours polishing that chrome exhaust, but swirls were still there. Furthermore, it seemed that if I polished just a small section, hologram-like surface imperfections resulted. And, the EO wadding cotton turned black...could I still use the "dirty" portion to polish? Lastly, after using a metal polish like EO never dull wadding polish, are we supposed to follow up with something to further refine the finish like when you polish paint? Thanks

a.k.a. Patrick
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Your dealing with a completely different component. Chrome or other metals do not have a clear protective layer, nor are they made of resins and acrylics. So dont use identical methods as you would with a painted surface. Similiar? Yes, but not identical.

1. Clean the surface as best you can of dirt and debris.

2. Use chrome friendly towels, MF`s, free of tags and stiff edges.

3. Sometimes its easier to polish/clean small areas, then buff the entire area as one piece until the polishing towels is free of debris or dirt (metal rubout)

4. Waxes are generally of no use, as metals reach temperatures incompatible with nuba protection.

5. Most metal polishes/cleaners are rather noxious, so work in a well ventillated area.

6. Use a gentle metal polish/cleaners......take your time.

All you can do is try to return it to its orginal condition.

Of course, this is my opinion.......

lex89
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
My mom has chrome rims on her town and country. Chrysler told her to use a brillow pad with soap and water. After using EO chrome and all-in-one separately a bunch of times and not making a dent, I agreed to try the brillow pad. The wheels are finely scratched all over, but they look 10x better than before (also dressed the tires which really made them look good). There`s virtually no brake dust on them now.

Note:

I used the brillow because it`s a minivan, my mom doesn`t care, and I was being LAZY. Don`t do it to your nice chrome rims!

golfdude
07-05-2006, 09:21 PM
So, are what I am seeing really swirls (in the chrome) and can I eliminate them?

What is that black stuff that is created from using some polishes?

It seems that when I polish small areas at a time, the finish looks inconsistent and a form of holograms appears.

imported_chpsk8
07-05-2006, 09:26 PM
My mom has chrome rims on her town and country. Chrysler told her to use a brillow pad with soap and water. After using EO chrome and all-in-one separately a bunch of times and not making a dent, I agreed to try the brillow pad. The wheels are finely scratched all over, but they look 10x better than before (also dressed the tires which really made them look good). There`s virtually no brake dust on them now.

Ok for you, but for sure not a recommended cure for polishing chrome. Fine scratches everywhere are not an acceptable outcome. Ok of r aminivan though. :D

(just in case there are people reading this thread thinking "hmmmmm... i have a brillo Pad in my kitchen.... and I have chrome rims that are dirty..." baddddddd idea... ) :D

imported_chpsk8
07-05-2006, 09:27 PM

Ok for you, but for sure not a recommended cure for polishing chrome. Fine scratches everywhere are not an acceptable outcome. Ok for a minivan though. :D

(just in case there are people reading this thread thinking "hmmmmm... i have a brillo Pad in my kitchen.... and I have chrome rims that are dirty..." baddddddd idea... ) :D

lex89
07-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Heh yeah good idea. I`ll edit for that.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-06-2006, 05:24 AM
The black stuff is a reaction with the chemicals you are using. And thats usually with aluminums, as opposed to chrome.....Chrome you shouldnt get that. What you need to remember is you want to clean the chrome, not necessarily polish it. As for the scratches, once the chrome is cleaned, you may or may not notice the scratching anymore.

Obviously, Chrysler is clueless when it comes to recommending a chrome cleaner.

velobard
07-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Note:

I used the brillow because it`s a minivan, my mom doesn`t care, and I was being LAZY. Don`t do it to your nice chrome rims!

Ummm, I wasn`t planning on it!!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/velobard/LHS4.jpg