PDA

View Full Version : brake dust

brother mike
07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I drive a 2002 bmw 745I. I love to shampoo and polish my ride but I have a problem with brake dust on my rims. I can wash them today and in 2 days they will look like they were not washed. I`ve been told that it`s time to change my brake pads but the dealer said thats not the case. He said it`s the type of rims I have (factory rims for now). Someone told me to get ceramic brakes another said its a product out there that helps prevent the dust from sticking to the rims. Can anyone help me with this problem.

bad venge
07-05-2006, 05:48 PM
I put on a set of carbon fiber aftermarket brake pads .... Very VERY little dust ,weeks go by before they show dust

AL-53
07-05-2006, 06:11 PM
want to end brake dust..get some Akebono Pro Acts ceramic brake pads...since I put these on..no dust..

there are sealants you can use on wheels to ease the cleaning..but dust will return..

I do not see what the type of wheel has to due with brake dust...it is the pads that create dust..mostly semi-metalic pads...

once you put on ceramic pads..and bed them in correctly ....they will reduce dust to almost nil...and provide better braking action...

Al

spotter
07-06-2006, 05:56 AM
I have a set of Akebono Pro Acts that I am expecting delivery on today. My Lexus GS400 OEM brake pads don`t dust much but I am expecting these to be an upgrade in quality, dusting, and quietness.

TigerMike
07-06-2006, 06:54 AM
want to end brake dust..get some Akebono Pro Acts ceramic brake pads...since I put these on..no dust..

Ditto x 2!

My Akebono`s were the best things I`ve ever done to my brakes and wheels. No matter how much sealant I applied to the wheel before I had the new pads installed, the wheels were black with soot after a few days. It`s been over almost 2 months since I`ve even washed my wheels and they still have minimal brake dust accumulation now. Plus, the new pads are as quiet as a mouse...

The ceramic pads are the way to go...

Anomaly
07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
The only issue I have for using Akebono ceramic pads is their fade on the twisties. Makes driving some mountain runs that much more entertaining!

However, it`s true that they have very low dusting and your rims will stay clean longer.

Anyways, I could`ve sworn I posted on this last night. But many of my fellow 350Z owners like to use Wheel Wax for keeping the rims clean since the OE brake pads dust A LOT.