PDA

View Full Version : over used meguair scratch x???? help

silversx
07-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi my first post and I can`t believe I didn`t know about this site...

well.. I just got a lexus is250 black and I noticed the left fender has some very light scratches on it.. the area before the side mirror.. it can`t be felt with finger

today I decided to go get a product to see if I can remove the scratches.. I picked the scratch x from meguairs..

After using it with a meguair`s foam applicator I noticed the scratches still there.. I then went ahead and used the product maybe 10 more times.. give or take..

each time I squeezed a little on the area and rubbed about 2 minutes with the applicator and removed with 100% cotton t shirt..

did I over do it??? after reading the tutorials on this site.. I`m very scared that I might have removed too much clear coat? even tho the scratch x is "clear coat safe".. the scratches are almost not visible now however.

this product is considered a "cleaner" on meguair`s website.. is that the least abrasive?

sigh... only had the car for 1 day.. :grrr

afroman
07-04-2006, 11:52 PM
I think part of your problem is removing it with a t-shirt. that might have added scratches just as fast as you were taking them away. pick yourself up some nice microfiber towels to use for this.

osc4m
07-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Well, from what i`ve read on these forums Meg`s Scratch X isn`t very abrasive.

silversx
07-05-2006, 12:08 AM
thanks for the replies

it didn`t feel very abrasive.. but the first few applications.. I can hear a squeaky sound like friction between surfaces..

is there any way I can tell if I took off too much clear coat?? sigh

afroman
07-05-2006, 12:26 AM
is there any way I can tell if I took off too much clear coat?? sigh

the fact that you can still see the scratches tells you that you didn`t. on a 1 day old car, there is no way (I would hope) that the scratches would be that deep, and you haven`t even gotten to them yet. You have no reason to worry.

look up some better polishes on here, get some microfibers, and look into getting a porter cable, and you`ll be fine.

imported_steveo3002
07-05-2006, 02:24 AM
dont worry , scratch x is very mild, chances are it needed 10 applications to remove to blemishes totaly

boogy
07-05-2006, 06:42 AM
You might want to use a piece of Viking terrycloth to give it a little bit more "bite". Also, to echo what was said, it`s not a very abrasive product, even given its name. So you really have to use some elbow grease to get it working. Additionally, the general rule of thumb is, if you can feel the scratches with your nails, it`s not gonna come out.

silversx
07-06-2006, 08:37 AM
thanks all.. i hope i didnt take off too much.. it still looks very shiny

im going to pepboys or kragen to pick up some microfiber towels for washing and waxing.. and a quick detail spray .. any suggestions on brand??

velobard
07-06-2006, 09:42 AM
No Kragens around here, but at Pep Boys Mother`s brand has some decent products. I can`t remember too well what other brands they carry.

zarko
07-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Your bests bet for microfiber clothes is sams club or costco...if you have one in the area.....get a big bundle for cheap.