PDA

View Full Version : new white car... specks all over it!

alpnwhite96
07-04-2006, 10:00 AM
not ALL over it but noticeable on roof, hood and trunk.

won`t come off w/ claying, someone suggested i go to the dealer and ask them to do an ABC wash - i somewhat don`t trust dealer detail department so thinking about buying the system and doing it myself.

why must white cars be such a pita..

Capt. Paintball
07-04-2006, 10:49 AM
If the specks look like rust, it is rail dust. Lemme guess, it is a Ford? Anyway, when cars are transported by trains, the wheels create friction along the tracks, which kick up the dust in the air. The dust settles on the (if Ford, totally NON protected) surfaces of the paint. With moisture occuring, by rain or by humidity, the iron specks start to rust, and you can see why it is important to wipe them off.

Rail dust settles everywhere--on paint, on windows, on plastic trim. Clay for paint, and plastic trim, razor blade/steel wool for windows (carefully) and you will be good.

If the specks are a different color, or are on certain parts of the car (AND NOT EVENLY DISTRIBUTED OVER THE ENTIRE CAR) it may be overspray from a bumper guy spraying a car on the lot.

If clay does not work, go to the Finish Kare website and order their products. Post before and after pictures.

alpnwhite96
07-04-2006, 11:03 AM
some look like rust, some look like small black specks. there are a good amount on the roof of the car and trunk, and also on the hood to a lesser extent.

its a 2006 subaru wrx, with only about 2000 miles on it, and already more scratches on it than i care for.

i`ve tried use all proper methods, wool wash mit + optimum no rinse, waffle weave towel to dry, etc.

dammit.

Capt. Paintball
07-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Most of it seems like environmental damage from...well, anywhere. Could be from the lot if it is on the hood roof and trunk. (I assume the front and rear windows as well) Black specks could be from a tree, or even from its trip from japan to the dealer.

It doesn`t really matter. Finish Kare will likely fix everything that is on your car, sans scratches.

alpnwhite96
07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
yea the car was on the lot for at least 4 months before it was sold and who knows how many test drives it`s been on befoer i got to it.

looks like i`ll be ordering the finish kare decon system soon.

alpnwhite96
07-04-2006, 11:31 AM
still waiting to learn enough about detailing/products to bite the bullet and order a PC...

toolfanatic
07-04-2006, 12:03 PM
I just finished detailing a white VW, it always gets these small tan spots that won`t come off easily. I had to do the whole car with a liquid paint cleaner. It`s alot more work but it came out awesome.

alpnwhite96
07-04-2006, 12:17 PM
yea, my last car was white and this car is white, maybe i should have gone with a different color lol.

its so goddamn bright outside right now that i cna`t really look at the paint closely at the moment w/o blinding myself.

imported_Amused
07-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Just clay your car. The first claying off the lot will take you a couple of hours. The difference is night and day.

alpnwhite96
07-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Just clay your car. The first claying off the lot will take you a couple of hours. The difference is night and day.

i have clayed the car - even w/ moderate pressure, the some of the specks aren`t coming off.

hah funny, i have an 06 WRX also aspen white.

Scottwax
07-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Seriously, either have the dealer do an ABC wash or order the FK or Autoint kit.

alpnwhite96
07-04-2006, 01:40 PM
yea im ordering the FK kit as soon as they open - autoint`s website is jacked up for ordering for me.

toolfanatic
07-04-2006, 03:50 PM

Ayuh! This is beyond clay, trust me. I think white paint is worse than black in some ways. The clay would have been 5 times the work. Liquid paint cleaner was the way to go.