PDA

View Full Version : BMW M6 on the way...detail ?`s

Harkonen
07-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Hello!

I joined Autopia a couple years ago as an obsessive owner of a black CLK430. I researched everything here for weeks...PC polishers, various products and techniques, etc... and eventually bought a PC 7424 kit, and all the Wolfgang products (which were `in` at that time for the "wet" look on black vehicles).

Shortly after all these goodies arrived, I got a job offer from a new company that included a white 745Li as a company car. The black 430 was sold, and I wasn`t tremendously motivated to spend alot of time being insane about the shine on my white vehicle. No offense to white fans, but it bores me.

I have now ordered a new M6 (Black, of course :-) )...and am planning well in advance for its arrival (still 4 months away). Some questions:

1) I asked the dealer not to wash the car when it arrived, and he looked at me like I`d sprouted a third eye. He told me they HAD to clean the vehicle up, as it arrives with transport tape and what not on it. Is this true? (He did offer to let me come supervise their detailer when the vehicle comes in).

2) I know these things are subjective, but is Wolfgang still a popular product for black vehicles looking for a deep, wet shine? I did some thread searching and it seems that the product has faded in popularity...is this correct?

3) Any other suggestions on what I can to to get started on the right foot with my new M6? I have never worked with black BMW paint, and I don`t want to make any mistakes.

Thanks in advance...and if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it. The Autopia University forum seems to be gone... (or I`m blind). :cool:

LucasZCPM3
07-05-2006, 03:14 AM
Good luck with that, get your wash technique perfected before it arrives..

I have nothing to add, free bump! :)

imported_Picus
07-05-2006, 05:28 AM
1) I asked the dealer not to wash the car when it arrived, and he looked at me like I`d sprouted a third eye. He told me they HAD to clean the vehicle up, as it arrives with transport tape and what not on it. Is this true? (He did offer to let me come supervise their detailer when the vehicle comes in).

2) I know these things are subjective, but is Wolfgang still a popular product for black vehicles looking for a deep, wet shine? I did some thread searching and it seems that the product has faded in popularity...is this correct?

3) Any other suggestions on what I can to to get started on the right foot with my new M6? I have never worked with black BMW paint, and I don`t want to make any mistakes.

Thanks in advance...and if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it. The Autopia University forum seems to be gone... (or I`m blind). :cool:

1) No, it isn`t true. Many people on Autopia, myself included, have received vehicles with no dealer prep; transport tape still on them. All the dealers needs to do is make it road worthy (make it so the drivers side door opens).

2) It has lost a bit of steam, but that`s how things go here. It doesn`t mean it`s not still a great line of products. If you have a lot of it left I would continue to use it; wolfgang makes good products and they will look great on your M6.

3) The first prep should be pretty easy; you should only need to wash, clay, then use a very, very light polish or paint cleaner (like AIO, or wolfgangs paint cleaner), then seal/wax it. After that it`s all about the washing (as I am sure you know). Wash it right and you`ll have an easy to maintain paint surface for years.

Beason
07-05-2006, 07:50 AM
I agree with the above, do not let them try and convince you that they can tell you what you can and cannot do with your car. If you are looking towards the sealant route Ive seen great results on black with Zaino Z5pro.

Harkonen
07-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks gentlemen. I think I got a pretty solid washing technique down with the CLK430...I had to, just breathing hard on that car caused swirling. I do need to buy new quality microfiber though...the wife has taken to using them to clean glass around the house. :mad:

Picus, I thought clay was for removing contaminants from the paint after long-term exposure. You recommend the clay on a brand new car...is this to remove contaminants picked up from shipping? I guess it makes me a bit nervous, since I`ve not used clay before.

I`ll check out the Z5pro, too.

jdhutchin
07-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Yes, the clay on the new cars is to remove contaiminatns from shipping. While usually the hood and a few other parts have a thin clear plastic covering, the whole car doesn`t. There are normal contaminatns, and also rail dust from when/if it was shipped by rail that you will need clay to remove.

imported_Picus
07-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks gentlemen. I think I got a pretty solid washing technique down with the CLK430...I had to, just breathing hard on that car caused swirling. I do need to buy new quality microfiber though...the wife has taken to using them to clean glass around the house. :mad:

Picus, I thought clay was for removing contaminants from the paint after long-term exposure. You recommend the clay on a brand new car...is this to remove contaminants picked up from shipping? I guess it makes me a bit nervous, since I`ve not used clay before.

I`ll check out the Z5pro, too.

As jdhutchin mentioned, cars can pick up some significant rail dust in the process of being shipped. Clay is very easy to use, you`ll find a number of tutorials on Autopia; generally all you need to be aware of is using plenty of lube, applying very little pressure, and re-molding the clay often.

Cheers

Beason
07-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Do not worry about claying. It is extremely easy to do and you will love the feel of your car after its done. Just make sure the keep the car lubricated. If you pick up some Z5pro for Zainobros.com you could probally pick up their clay bar too. Id also suggest some Z-8 for the times you dont have time to wax. Its like magic in a bottle for sealants.

zarko
07-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Does the new Bmw M6 come with Ceramiclear????????

Harkonen
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Not sure....googled it, but didn`t come up with any listing of which vehicles have Ceramiclear. From what I read, it was predomiantly Mercedes, but the articles I found seemed to be a year or two old.

There is no mention of Cermiclear on the M6 information from BMW, so I am assuming no.

imported_Picus
07-05-2006, 11:42 AM
I do not believe that any BMW`s come with ceramiclear. I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that is a MB only right now.

Harkonen
07-06-2006, 01:59 PM
This service is offered on new vehicles by a local detail shop, AJ`s here in San Jose.

"The Super Seal

Especially for new cars, this is a five year warranted Teflon(tm) Sealer designed to provide the ultimate in protection. The finish is cleaned, sealed and protected. For your interior, Scotch-Guarding(tm) and leather treatment are also available."

Anyone have opinions on this, or on its suitability for the new M6?

Beason
07-06-2006, 02:34 PM
This service is offered on new vehicles by a local detail shop, AJ`s here in San Jose.

"The Super Seal

Especially for new cars, this is a five year warranted Teflon(tm) Sealer designed to provide the ultimate in protection. The finish is cleaned, sealed and protected. For your interior, Scotch-Guarding(tm) and leather treatment are also available."

Anyone have opinions on this, or on its suitability for the new M6?

5 year sealant? :wall

Harkonen
07-06-2006, 02:35 PM
LOL...

This detail shop has been recommended by several Autopians *shrug*

imported_Picus
07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Typically these types of "paint protection" packages are pretty much phooey. They are a high durability paint sealant like Wolfgang, Zaino, Werkstatt, SG, etc.. that needs to be re-applied yearly or bi-yearly. The warranty protects against damage (like sap, water spots, etc...) so long as the product is re-applied as needed and you do not polish or wax your own car.

A funny note on that one - teflon must be applied to a surface at something like 1200 degrees for it to be effective. Even DuPont has a disclaimer on their website claiming that teflon in car care products is nothing more than a marketing ploy, and that any actual teflon in these products is pretty much completely ineffective.

There are many names for these products, Xzilon, Glare, etc... none of them actually lasts 5 years and none of them do anything that a good paint sealant like Zaino, etc... already do for 1/10th the price.

Essentially you`re paying a couple hundred dollars for something you can do for $25.