PDA

View Full Version : Need Help, New Wheels

Wasatch
07-03-2006, 02:47 PM
I have some new Steel, Black, Powder-Coated wheels coming in. What`s the best way to clean them and protect? Should I go Acidic base or Non-Acidic on the cleaner? Sealant, Wax or something else to protect? Never had steel wheels before, never mind powder-coated. All suggests needed, thanks.

Wasatch
07-03-2006, 05:08 PM
What, no one?

opensob
07-03-2006, 08:57 PM
If they are new, you won`t need a harsh cleaner at all. If you are looking for long-term protection, rather than just a temporary shine, I`d recommend a wheel-specific wax or sealant. I have only used Poorboy`s Wheel Sealant but it definitely keeps off the dirt and brake dust while also making clean-up easier.

The fact that they are powder-coated shouldn`t change the routine much, other than enhancing the importance of getting some sort of protective layer on their before any contaminants embed in the surface.

Shftup
07-03-2006, 11:29 PM
If you contact a higher end wheel shop they will tell you some of their trades secrets. I would use similar steps to paint - clay, then AIO, then I would use a sealant like FMJ/Werks.

Wasatch
07-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Thanks. I was thinking powder-coated needed special treatment. I do have some AJ.