PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Addiction - Added Werkstatt (long)

drck1000
07-03-2006, 12:44 PM
I just put in an order for Werkstatt products. I ordered AJ, AJ Trigger, Prime and the Autobody Wash. I already have practically equivalent products from other companies, but have decided to give these a try. I was actually interested primarily in AJ. I have Klasse SG and FK1 2180 as sealants that I intend to use as base layers for carnauba topping. I`ve had good success using SG and 2180 worked well. My main complaint with 2180 is that it`s this weird blue color that seems to show up everywhere. It`s easily removed from trim, clearbra edges and other collection points, but just something that I noticed and bugs me. So I am thinking of getting rid of 2180 if AJ works well. I guess I just want to see what all the hype is about Werkstatt stuff.

It`s not that I need any more sealants as I also have UPP and EXP in addition to KSG and 2180. I haven`t topped UPP with carnauba and have topped EXP with Natty`s and Pink Wax. Am I addicted to trying out detailing products? I probably am. While I`d like to think that I notice subtle differences between the products on my metallic silver car and other family cars, I have to be very picky to try to find differences between the product on my silver car. Maybe I should get a black/blue car just to try products on! Haha. Ok, not going quite that far.

While on the site, I decided might as well try AJ Trigger. I already have HGAS, Sonus Acrylic Spritz, FX-100 (even OCW and Crystal Mist). I also added Prime just to go along with AJ. I already have lots of AIO. Have a little less than half a 500 ml container and a liter container as backup. I really like AIO and use it a lot, wanted to give the Werkstatt products a fare shake. Thinking of getting rid of FX-100 as well. While I like it, seems to leave some yellow dust around after application. Seems like FK1 products are falling by the wayside for me. Haha.

Along similar lines, I decided to try their car wash. I already have a gallon of Optimum`s stuff and about half a quart of SS&S left. What`s another $7 or so for the same shipping cost right? I guess that`s why I have so much detailin stuff with many different products for the same use/purpose.

When I look at all of the stuff I accumulated over the past few months, it`s pretty scary that before finding Autopia, I thought renewing my Permaplate on my old car every 6 months or so was good enough. I admit that I am now addicted to detailing and maybe more addicted to trying out detailing products. I probably have more product that some professional detailers! Is that a bad thing?

BTW, I also must add that I have Duragloss AW and the small size of their car wash on the way as well.

As I trim down my products and get rid of products that I no longer want/need, keep an eye out on the sale/trade section. I might even start giving some stuff away and just ask for the shipping costs. Have too much detailing stuff that I could ever use. Might as well help other Autopians try out other products or increase their stock of products that they really like that I could do without.

So am I an extreme case of buying and trying out too many detailing products? Especially for one who does it pretty much just as a weekend hobby?

chml17l
07-03-2006, 01:01 PM
FK`s 2180 is "color guarded" to turn blue indicating that you applied it too thickly.

Bobby G
07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Hi, my name is David, and I`m addicted to detailing.

drck1000
07-03-2006, 01:17 PM
FK`s 2180 is "color guarded" to turn blue indicating that you applied it too thickly.

I guess what I meant was when I apply too quickly (or am not careful enough) next to the clear bra and on the buttons near the door handles, the product accumulates in those crevises and I thought I cleaned them up. But the next day, I noticed more. Probably just me not cleaning it up properly the first time, but it`s still much more noticable with that light blue color than white.

I didn`t know that 2180 was color guarded, but now that you mention it, I did notice that it was white when I applied to the paint and in areas that I put too much product on the applicator, it was blue.

drck1000
07-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi, my name is David, and I`m addicted to detailing.

Nice. There are many more addictions out there that are more hazardous to my health than detailing, but probably just as hazardous to my wallet!

ntoddalbert
07-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Nice. There are many more addictions out there that are more hazardous to my health than detailing, but probably just as hazardous to my wallet!

Admitting you have a problem is step one, im proud of you David.

I have a anger management class tonight, can you freakin believe that on the day before the 4th of July, Pinheads :LOLOL

klnyc
07-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Damn, you arent only one :grinno: