PDA

View Full Version : Acura TSX--Underwhelmed

Old Man
07-03-2006, 05:30 AM
I found the TSX gutless ,noisy(road and tire noise),and spongy handling. Braking was average,too.

The automatic trans. doesn`t work well with the peaky motor,(8100 RPM redline).

The motor is great in the RSX-S,so is the 6spd tranny.

The TSX does have a beautiful interior. It would be a great car with the TL V6. Just like Nissan did with the Altima,stuffing the Maxima V6 in it.

Just my non-professional opinion,worth what you paid for it.

BoxsterCharlie
07-03-2006, 06:07 AM
I gave up on waiting for Honda to go to RWD. I just don`t understand their stubborness when it comes to this, and I can`t take a FWD seriously.

JaCkaL829
07-03-2006, 06:41 AM
I found the TSX gutless ,noisy(road and tire noise),and spongy handling. Braking was average,too.

The automatic trans. doesn`t work well with the peaky motor,(8100 RPM redline).

The motor is great in the RSX-S,so is the 6spd tranny.

The TSX does have a beautiful interior. It would be a great car with the TL V6. Just like Nissan did with the Altima,stuffing the Maxima V6 in it.

Just my non-professional opinion,worth what you paid for it.

Thanks for the opinion, most of it I heard before; gutless motor, really slow with the auto tranny, etc. This is the first time I`m reading of road and tire noise though. My Acura RSX has pretty bad road noise on the highway; I`m surprised the TSX has it too as its more of a luxury sedan, not sports car. TSXs are nice, but I do think there are better cars in that range. If Acura addressed those issues I`m sure it would be more popular with the "gear heads".

Do you own a TSX or did you rent/borrow one?

SpoiledMan
07-03-2006, 06:58 AM
TSX`s come alive with a Hondata reflash. I don`t know if it`s available for the auto or not as a friend of mine has had it done on his 6 speed and it`s a night and day difference. I don`t know why Honda continues to leave that motor so lifeless. Maybe the RDX turbo motor will find it`s way.

imported_Amused
07-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I gave up on waiting for Honda to go to RWD. I just don`t understand their stubborness when it comes to this, and I can`t take a FWD seriously.

This is exactly how I feel. I`ve owned 2 Hondas previously(`98 GS-R, `00 Prelude Type-SH) and although they`re reliable etc, they just don`t ever excite me, except for the S2k(NSX not for the average person). VTEC is nice, but most people are afraid to hit the higher revs and even I got tired of riding above 5250 to get the car going strong.

My aunt has an auto `05 TSX. It`s comfy and handles better than most sedans. I haven`t noticed the road noise issue however...fairly quiet to me, but obviously it doesn`t deaden like a Lexus. It doesn`t have the kick I would have liked, but honestly, what do you expect from a car tailored for the entry level luxury market? Expect more refinement than performance.

JaCkaL829
07-03-2006, 07:25 AM
TSX`s come alive with a Hondata reflash. I don`t know if it`s available for the auto or not as a friend of mine has had it done on his 6 speed and it`s a night and day difference. I don`t know why Honda continues to leave that motor so lifeless. Maybe the RDX turbo motor will find it`s way.

I`ve heard that too with Hondata, it`s quite costly though, no?

Unfortunately Hondata wouldn`t decrease road/tire noise :wall

SpoiledMan
07-03-2006, 07:36 AM
$600

http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx_06.html

velobard
07-03-2006, 08:00 AM
I`ve heard that too with Hondata, it`s quite costly though, no?

Unfortunately Hondata wouldn`t decrease road/tire noise :wall

Yeah, but what would a better choice of tires do? Don`t you think they`re at least patially to blame?

Old Man
07-03-2006, 02:47 PM
JohnnyD, It was a loaner car,had 4000k miles on it. The tires could very well be the road noise culprit.

SpoiledM, That MDX motor sure would be sweet in it.

I`m not a Honda hater,(love those V-Tech motors),but the Honda R&D guys should go drive the new VW`s. They might learn a few things.

Again,

My 2 cents.

SpoiledMan
07-03-2006, 03:04 PM
SpoiledM, That MDX motor sure would be sweet in it.

I`m not a Honda hater,(love those V-Tech motors),but the Honda R&D guys should go drive the new VW`s. They might learn a few things.

Again,

My 2 cents.

RDX = The new turbo four from Honda.

If VW could get the reliability of the Asian makes they`d have something going on. Til then, I`ll take a small hit in the driving experience in exchange.:)

Old Man
07-03-2006, 07:43 PM
RDX,MDX,RSX,TSX,NSX--Whew! Too many X`s to keep straight,(for me,anyway).

Now: Jetstar,Bel Air,Galaxy,Imperial,Catalina,Falcon,etc. Those I can remember.

I agree with you about the reliability aspect.

BoxsterCharlie
07-03-2006, 08:07 PM
This is exactly how I feel. I`ve owned 2 Hondas previously(`98 GS-R, `00 Prelude Type-SH) and although they`re reliable etc, they just don`t ever excite me, except for the S2k(NSX not for the average person). VTEC is nice, but most people are afraid to hit the higher revs and even I got tired of riding above 5250 to get the car going strong.

I was very disappointed when, after waiting 7(?) years for a 4th generation Integra (I owned a `92 gen 2), the RSX showed up. I had hoped that they would base it on the S2000 platform, but no such luck. Can you imagine the impact that that would have had on the sport compact industry, instead of the decent but forgettable RSX?

imported_Amused
07-03-2006, 09:18 PM
I was very disappointed when, after waiting 7(?) years for a 4th generation Integra (I owned a `92 gen 2), the RSX showed up. I had hoped that they would base it on the S2000 platform, but no such luck. Can you imagine the impact that that would have had on the sport compact industry, instead of the decent but forgettable RSX?

When the market was flooded with high performance RWD cars(late 80s early 90s), the consumers didn`t want it. Imagine how well the RX-7, Turbo MR2, Supra, and 240SX would sell now? Now that the demand is there, Japanese manufacturers aren`t making them. Honda has never been a part of that market though. The NSX is their only true race platform and the S2k is coming to the end of its production run. Is there a replacement in the works?...possibly, there are rumors running around, but it could go AWD like the NSX replacement. Hoping for the RSX to have taken on a RWD platform...that`s just asking for disappointment. Honda is too conservative...well, most of the Japanese manufacturers are now :(

Dr. Peters
07-04-2006, 08:34 AM

I`ve owned 2 VW`s and they`re the most unreliable cars I`ve ever encountered. In the 5 years I had my 2001 Jetta, it was in the dealership over 20 times for replacements of e-brake`s, brake light switches, auto window motors, rattles, etc all of which were mostly recalls. My 2002 VW Passat 1.8 Turbo has been in the shop nearly the same amount of times for engine problems alone (coilpack failure and more).

It`s my understanding that Acura is contemplating putting the RDX turbo motor into the TSX at some time. However, like most have said, the Hondata reflash does make the TSX come alive (I now have an `06 TSX) and yes, for about $500. But in comparison to VW`s options for reflashes (APR, REVO, GIAC, etc.) you`re paying about the same. If Acura has anything to learn from VW, it`s how to speak German so they can say "reliability" to them more often.

Swirlmark King
07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
I drive an 04 WRX with some mods, and the girlfriend has an 05 TSX. I love the TSX, sure I wish it had a bit more power, but for her it is perfect. The fit and finish on the car seems great, and the price was also very good. For that price level I don`t think many cars can beat it. I haven`t noticed the road noise issue. I have been in nicer cars, but for the price of the TSX I can`t say I have liked anything better. It handles great and with the 6 speed has enough power to be fun.

I will have to look into the Hondata flash :grinno: she will have to not find out about that. :chuckle: