PDA

View Full Version : Treating 10-year old coated leather??

TN9thSi
07-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I have two cars that I take care of which have approximately 10-year old coated leather. Both are GM vehicles; A `99 Buick Regal and a `97 Olds Regency. Everything I have used on the seats leaves a pasty residue on the towel that is the same color as the leather. Also, everything causes the leather to be sticky, almost like it`s wet. I know the leather on both cars has been negelected. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to life. Otherwise the leather is in decent condition.

BoxsterCharlie
07-02-2006, 09:04 PM
I`d recommend a good treatment with a leather cleaner, and then waiting a couple days before treating it with conditioner. Have you tried Lexol? The cleaner is in the orange bottles; the conditioner in the brown bottles.

The stickiness worries me, though. Anyone here with experience with GM leather of these years?

Joshua312
07-02-2006, 09:23 PM
hmm..I dont have those makes however I do have a 99 Grand Prix GTP and I clean my leather/plastic surfaces with kids and pets found at Target or Walmart, or Z9...Then I conditioned it for the first time yesterday with Z10 - Worked wonders...I would highly reccomend the Zaino twins, a little bit goes a long way- My leather has never looked better

gbackus
07-02-2006, 09:58 PM
If you are pulling color fromthe leather, they are not coated leather. You should use a traditional style leather clean and conditioning oil for this type of leather(connoly hide feed and leatherique come to mind).