PDA

View Full Version : Audi Paint

zarko
07-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Heres my deal......I have a 00 Audi A6 (Melange = Paint Color) Ive Clayed bar my car.. then i Used 3m Finesette.....Then a top Coat of NXT.......

unfortuantly I still have a lot of swirl mark`s...and the Shine that im looking for is not there....

Any Suggetions would be grately appreciated...........

zarko
07-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Forgot to mention I use a PC 7424

runnerbl
07-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Heres my deal......I have a 00 Audi A6 (Melange = Paint Color) Ive Clayed bar my car.. then i Used 3m Finesette.....Then a top Coat of NXT.......

unfortuantly I still have a lot of swirl mark`s...and the Shine that im looking for is not there....

Any Suggetions would be grately appreciated...........

Need to be a little more specific on what products, pads, etc were used...how long you worked the product...might not have worked product long enough...might not have used aggressive enough product or not agressive enough pad....Not sure if audi clear was hard in 2000 or not....others with more experience will hopefully chimein

David703
07-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I had to use a rotory and Hight Temp extreme cut to get rid of swirls in audi paint. Its HARD clearcoat!! I didn`t have the patience with the PC.

Accumulator
07-03-2006, 08:59 AM
We had a few `00 A6s in our family; I detailed them and had a 4.2 of my own.

The clear is very hard. To correct it with a PC (in a reasonable amount of time) you`ll have to use an aggressive product on a 4" pad. I spent literally *hours* with 3M PI-II FCRC/PC/6.5" wool on the trunklid of an A6. After basically a full day, I`d barely touched the marring. That taught me that the PC/6.5" approach simply isn`t suitable for that clear.

Once you get the worst of it out with the aggressive product you can try switching to something milder on a 6.5" pad but be prepared to switch back to the 4" set up.

Product suggestions: 3M PI-III RC 05933 (discontinued but still available) followed by PI-III MG 05937 (ditto); 1Z Ultra/Extra followed by their PP (following with their MP was worth it for me); Hi-Temp stuff (no first hand experience on that paint).

FWIW, I`ve used the following approach, *by hand* to remove fingernail scratches from behind door handles on this clear: 1Z Ultra, then 3M PI-III RC, then PI-III MG, then 1Z MP. Took a *very* long time but it worked.

Don`t use something that the PC won`t break down; if you get product hazing from something rotary-only you might not get it out with the PC.

DO NOT worry about taking off too much clear ;) Plan on spending a lot of time. Work one panel/area until you get what you`re after.

I got by without a rotary for a long, long time but finally bought one to correct not-awful marring on Audis ;)