PDA

View Full Version : reappearing cloudyness/blooming?

imported_steveo3002
07-02-2006, 01:34 PM
im posting on behalf of a friend, he has a black single stage vw that has cloudy /bloomed patches

i suggested he try klasse aio and he says it cleaned it up to a very good standard only for the cloudy/white/bloomed area to quickly reapear within a few days

any suggestions or ideas?

Black240SX
07-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Those could be areas of oxidation. He`ll probably need to use something stronger than AIO to clean them up.

imported_steveo3002
07-02-2006, 02:35 PM
but why would the aio make it good but only for a few days ? surley if it wasnt removing all the oxidised paint then it would still look cloudy from day one?

imported_Bence
07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
A dried-out, permeable paint behaves like this. Sorry but there is nothing to do, except for a good, tender but deep polish to remove as much oxidation as possible and from then lots of protection. Oil heavy waxes weekly; but no polymers because they are not as "nourishing" as the heavy waxes.

SS black is soft so watch out for the thickness of the film build! You cannot polish it infinitely so I`d recommend thicker glazes as well.

Scottwax
07-02-2006, 08:14 PM
He might want to try Meguiars products instead. The trade secret oils really help on single stage paints. #83 and #80 should not only remove all the oxidation if worked right but the oils will help the paint look better longer.

imported_steveo3002
07-03-2006, 01:52 AM
yeah i was also thinking maybe #7...any ideas on a easily availble wax that would be best for him?

imported_Dave KG
07-03-2006, 02:20 AM
If you`re using #7, the I would top this with #26 on black paint as the pair I find really seem to wrok very well together, espeically on darker colours.

imported_jaobrien6
09-12-2006, 12:21 AM
I ran into a similar problem this weekend on a friend`s car. It has some of the worst swirls I`ve ever seen, and I finally got a chance to see what I could do with just a PC on really horrible swirls.

I started working on the hood and was able to restore some of the gloss and remove some of the swirls. However, there`s a cloudiness in parts of the hood that I don`t know what to do with. When I polish it, a lot of the cloudiness goes away (not completely), but then returns after about 15 minutes or so. It`s definitely not oxidation, because it doesn`t feel or look like it`s on the surface... it actually looks like it`s in the color layer (this has a clear coat, it`s a `94 Infiniti G20, dark green), but if that was true, why would polishing have any effect on it at all? Thoughts?

BTW, I tried a variety of polish and pad combinations, just to see if anything worked differently... 1Z UP, SFX1, DACP, PI-III MG, AIO, and others... The more aggressive polishes obviously did more for the swirls, but nothing seemed to affect the cloudiness any differently.

Also, I won`t be able to try again until next time I see the vehicle, so I won`t be able to test out any theories right away. I was more interested in just hearing if anyone`s run into a situation like this, or what people think it might be.

Thanks!

imported_jaobrien6
09-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Anyone have any thoughts?