PDA

View Full Version : Applying Zaino Too Thinly?

imported_Josh
07-01-2006, 07:27 PM
I recently decided to give the Zaino lineup a try again, but didn`t end up with the results I was expecting. I`m wondering if I may have somehow managed to use too little product. With just under 1oz of polish, I was able to apply two coats of ZFX`d Z5-Pro to my 2001 Silverado extended cab and then two coats to my 99 Camaro.

Did I use too little, or does my product consumption sound about right? I polished the paint a month or so ago and was hoping the Z5-Pro would fill the minor hairline scratches that have appeared since then, but I noticed very little, if any, difference in the number of scratches.

Thanks,

Josh

wannafbody
07-01-2006, 08:01 PM
IMO you need multiply layers to really notice the filling

RCBuddha
07-01-2006, 09:08 PM
From DavidN on another board:

To make it more spreadable do two things; 1. Use a terry or MF applicator as opposed to foam; 2. Spritz the applicator with Z6.

After doing that, one drop of Z2/Z5 per panel should be all you need. That one drop will equate to not even 1/4 of an ounce. I can get 3 coats of Z2 from 1/2 an ounce using this method.

roadmaster_Tx
07-01-2006, 11:15 PM
same results here, I actually measure zaino in a syringe that way I know how much prodcut is exactly being used and based on my calculations, On an average sized car like a 1994 honda accord, 1/4 oz got me 3 coats when applied with PC

imported_memnuts
07-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Depending on the severity of the minor surface marring, multiple coats(3)/sessions(2) might be needed to reduce the appearance of this marring.

A go rule of thumb is if reduction is not achieved after 4-6 coats, further polishing (Prep) is needed.

Since you have previous Zaino experience, 1 oz for 4 coats is not surprising. 1 oz will easily do 3 coats each on my Escalade and C5.

Mike-in-WV
07-02-2006, 07:48 AM
same results here, I actually measure zaino in a syringe that way I know how much prodcut is exactly being used and based on my calculations, On an average sized car like a 1994 honda accord, 1/4 oz got me 3 coats when applied with PC

:xyxthumbs Thats what I call a real detailer or a real miser! Don`t get wrong here, I think it`s great! You could probably teach most of us about what products work best for less. Mike

roadmaster_Tx
07-02-2006, 10:45 AM
:xyxthumbs Thats what I call a real detailer or a real miser! Don`t get wrong here, I think it`s great! You could probably teach most of us about what products work best for less. Mike

haha :rofl , I actually heard about the syringe idea from one of the detailing forums, not sure if it was this one but it does seem to work. Now I know how much zaino it will take to do 3 coats on a full size car, or a midsize car etc. Give it a try

MBurnickas
07-02-2006, 10:52 AM
I just wouldn`t expect zaino to fill scratches, they really should be leveled. I`m always on the lookout for a good filler, but I`ve never found one, what product really does hide scratches?