PDA

View Full Version : So who DOESNT have detailing insurance?

Pages : [1] 2

Evenflow
07-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Reason being is im about to do my first detail for a customer whom I am not related to/friends with.

I work at an autoparts store and I had a gentleman come in today looking to buy some rubbing compound to take out some swirls in his 1995 black Porchse. We got to talking, and I told him I do detailing on the side. After talking about detailing stuff with him for like 20 minutes, I asked him if he wanted my number. I gave him my name/number and he took me outside to take a look at the car.

I`d say the paint was moderatly swirled, nothing some SSR 2.5 and a PC cannot work out. The paint actually looked really got for it being a 95`. Had some scuff marks and rock chips on the front end. I told him that my 4 step (polish, glaze, seal, wax) ran $125. I thoroughly explained to him each step in the process and showed him my car which hasnt been washed for a while but still looked great.

Anyways, we set something up for this thursday. I do not think this man would try and screw me over, but you never know. Im afraid that after im done with the detail he might try to pull something like "how did that scratch get there", or "how did that scuff mark get there?" and get sued. How would everyone handle a situation like this?

thanks.

natebood
07-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Photos taken with the owner there or a written statement stating all of the current defects might help.

victory
07-01-2006, 05:03 PM
yep, walk around the car with him before the detail and point out/write down the defects and have him initial

wannafbody
07-01-2006, 08:08 PM
be careful fishing for customers at work. your employer might have a problem with that.

Evenflow
07-01-2006, 08:30 PM
be careful fishing for customers at work. your employer might have a problem with that.

Yea I looked into that already, and made damn sure no one was around. My managers is a cool guy, so I told him about that and hes cool with it, he didnt mind at all and he actually might want me to do his car after im done with this guys :)

But anyways, what should I right down on the piece of paper? Just the defects, and what else? And I haven`t washed a convertible before, anything I should know beforehand?

Brian_Brice
07-01-2006, 08:35 PM
ive operated many months without insurance

LeadingEdgeDetail
07-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Ask him for anything out of the ordinary before you detail.... I have no insurance, and as long as you`re a nice person doing an honest job, no-one should screw you... There is always the possibility, but I refuse to think of people that way!

imported_themightytimmah
07-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah I don`t deal with insurance. I run an honest business, and if someone were to sue me over a frivolous matter, it would likely cost them far more in lawyer`s fees than they would get out of me.

Five Star
07-01-2006, 10:47 PM
here is a checklist i got from Charlie haas, cant remember his screen name tho.. Sorry Charlie.

its an editable excel sheet you just print out, I uploaded it to a file server

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/2278433/vehiclecheck.xls.html

Evenflow
07-01-2006, 11:04 PM
here is a checklist i got from Charlie haas, cant remember his screen name tho.. Sorry Charlie.

its an editable excel sheet you just print out, I uploaded it to a file server

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/2278433/vehiclecheck.xls.html

Very well made, thanks a lot. It will definitely come in handy. I can just skip some of the interior stuff because ill just be doing exterior. Should I have him fill this stuff out, or me?

Five Star
07-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Very well made, thanks a lot. It will definitely come in handy. I can just skip some of the interior stuff because ill just be doing exterior. Should I have him fill this stuff out, or me?

You can fill it out, I usually just go over the car with the customer

but use a checklist if the customer isnt there and submit it with the bill.

If doing work for a dealer (usually to fix someones messup), I always use a checklist because I charge them retail rates.

where in mass are u?

Evenflow
07-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Im in Canton/Milton. Just about 10 minutes outside of Boston. Where abouts is Holyoke?

lex89
07-02-2006, 06:19 AM
five star, how do you print that out? It doesn`t fit on one page

imported_hooked
07-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever used a video record of the "walk around" inspection before the job for C.Y.A. insurance?

Five Star
07-02-2006, 03:44 PM
five star, how do you print that out? It doesn`t fit on one page

I remember I had a hard time with that too, when I got it. So I just made a PDF file and it printed fine

Here is the PDF.

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/9071667/check.pdf.html