PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Applying and Removing SG

imported_buffer
07-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Can anyone give me tips on the application and removal process for SG? I am using my PC (Speed = 3) to apply it and it seems to be going on fine but the removal by hand seems to be quite the ordeal. I think that I may be applying too much of it. Any advise? I was thinking that after about 12 hrs I`ll wipe the car down with QD just to make sure everything is off then apply another layer of SG. Will that work? Any tips for using SG with a PC?

Thanks

scdfloordaycare
07-01-2006, 12:14 PM
From what I`ve read on here most people prefer to apply SG by hand because it`s easier to apply a thin layer.

But if you want to use a PC then the above sounds fine. I dont have a PC so I dont have any tips about SG with a PC.

shortspark
07-01-2006, 02:02 PM
SG takes a little practice and few people get it right the first time. So don`t feel too bad. After a time or two you will learn how to apply it and how much to apply. I can not give you any advice about the PC as I do it by hand.

First, use a good applicator misted slightly (does not have to be very damp and must not be soaking wet) with a solution of 1 part SG to 3 parts distilled water. Then, put a small dab of full strength SG in the center of the applicator.

I like to use a swipe method rather than swirl (I don`t use circles for any product). Just go back and forth a panel at a time until you can barely see where you have gone over. If you notice a haze, you`ve used too much. Just give it a shot of the 3:1 mix I mentioned above and rub it over the high spot until it is smooth. You can do this right away and in fact the sooner after you first notice the haze the better. If you feel the dilluted SG mix removed too much (it should not have) don`t be afraid to go over the area again with SG.

Be sure to wait at least 12 hours between coats of SG. If you must drive between coats, it is best to wash the vehicle before your next coat - or at the very least, a wipe down with Poorboys SW. Remember, SG is a sealant and will seal over anything that is on your paint. I find on my billit silver color that three coats of SG is plenty. After that I am not sure the results are worth the extra effort. On a dark color more coats might help, but I don`t know that for a fact.

If you want to remove the SG layer totally (why you would, I do not know), but if you do, the best thing is a couple coats of AIO. I would not use Dawn liquid detergent to do this if I were you but some say it works. AIO is an excellent cleaner and is also part of the Klasse family and is meant to be used on paint - Dawn is not.

imported_buffer
07-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys I`ll tray what has been mentioned/

:bigups

superstring
07-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys I`ll tray what has been mentioned/

:bigups

Try doing a search buffer, there`s been (almost literally) a TON of info written on this subject! SG is quirky stuff. Some people like to remove the excess right away (WOWO method), others like to wait. Personally, I like to wait and then remove with a DAMP MF cloth. Actually, truth be told, I`ve relegated the stuff to the shelf. Too much PAIN! :grinno:

autobahn
07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
we found it EASY to take off SG (admittedly, I even used too much!) when after allowing it to dry a bit we lightly misted the area with sonus acrylic spritz and wiped off with that.

make sure you have lots of MFs around though, AIO and SG seem to like to "load" the buffing cloth so eventually you`ll get smearing.