PDA

View Full Version : new here, a couple detailing product questions

sftempest66
07-01-2006, 08:06 AM
hey guys, well recently I`ve been detailing cars and more and more people are referencing me so I think its time for me to upgrade my products and my 30 dollar buffer from pep boys just isnt cutting it anymore, so I`m going to be upgrading to a PC and some poorboys products, what do you think, mainly I`ll be dealing with every day drivers, not very well taken care of so I`ll have issues with light swirls, oxidation, and scratches, and I`ve heard great things about Poorboy SSR2.5/1 and everything but I`m just not sure if I should purchase a kit like this

http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html

or I put together my own kit that looks like this

-Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher

-Dual Action 5 Inch Flexible Backing Plate

-1 Orange 6.5" & 1 Orange 5.5" Light Cutting Pads

-2 White 6.5 Inch Polishing Pads

-2 Gray 6.5 Inch Finishing Foam Pads

-2 Cobra Microfiber Towels

All of that above comes in a kit for 189.99, then I added these

-16 oz. Poorboy’s Light Abrasive Swirl Remover SR1

-16 oz. Poorboy’s Medium Super Swirl Remover SSR2.5

-Poorboy`s EX Sealant with Carnauba

-6 Inch Terry Cloth Bonnet 4 pack

all of the above came out to $245 compared to the 260, (for clay bar I just used local bars and nxt quick detail)

also, the

so what do you think, will that get me started, also, how much product do you think I`d use on lets say, a ford expedition, (with medium swirls), how much of the SSR2.5/1 am I expecting to go through?? should I go ahead and order more if I`m going to be detailing cars locally? also, if anyone is familiar with the PC and using different pads I have one more question, that is what pads do you typically use for the SSR2.5/ SSR1??? do you start with an orange cutting pad with the 2.5, then move to the white with the SSR1, and then finish with the grey pad or whatever with a sealent like the EX-P or whatever? and after that, do you need to finish the car with another wax? I`m new to this so any help would be appreciated

oh and sorry for the long rant!!! :nixweiss

wytstang
07-01-2006, 08:55 AM
This will save you $$ on the PC

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SUQ8/qid=1151769683/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7209818-1908708?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

***Theres a discount code just under the price "SAVTENPTJUNE" that will nock off another 10% off the low price. Also for pads go to danase.com and use coupon code Autopia and get 10% (he also carries Poorboys world and Chemical Guys product) both work great and the Chemical Guys is slightly cheaper and by the gallon. Do a search on CG`s and you`ll find quite a bit of positve feedback on there products. Good luck....

wytstang
07-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Also when using swirl removers always start with the least "cutting" pad, if you need more cut then move to a more aggressive pad.

sftempest66
07-01-2006, 09:14 AM
This will save you $$ on the PC

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SUQ8/qid=1151769683/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7209818-1908708?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

***Theres a discount code just under the price "SAVTENPTJUNE" that will nock off another 10% off the low price. Also for pads go to danase.com and use coupon code Autopia and get 10% (he also carries Poorboys world and Chemical Guys product) both work great and the Chemical Guys is slightly cheaper and by the gallon. Do a search on CG`s and you`ll find quite a bit of positve feedback on there products. Good luck....

ok thanks, I`m going to be ordering the poorboys ssr1/2.5 from danase cause it is cheaper, and I`ll probably order the pad kit and PC from autopia because it still seems like a great deal, and I get pretty much all the pads I need to start out with

EDIT, I believe you were right with the PC from amazon, came out to 116 and I`ll get the pads from autopia, thanks wytstang!

sftempest66
07-01-2006, 09:39 AM
also, have you guys had any experience with the Poorboy`s EX Sealant with Carnauba??

is this a good finishing product after using polishes like the SSR 2.5/1?? or should you use another product for the final coat?? :help: