PDA

View Full Version : Devil`s advocate - `Twin` products

D3mon
07-01-2006, 04:28 AM
[asbestos suit on]

Imagine this scenario:

Group of guys form a company and work on a paint cleaner and sealant combination. Over time, each of the guys (now directors) decides that the development of the products isn`t going the way it should i.e. Bob thinks it should be more glossy, Dave thinks it should offer improved protection etc. Their ideas are technically/chemically opposed, so an amicable solution is technically impossible.

Eventually, this difference in opinion cause a split in the company and each guy walks away with the basic chemical `recipe` and builds a new company to move the basic `recipe` in his/her chosen direction.

Now, apply this theory to products like Autoglym, Klasse, P21s...

Are we all using the same `basic recipe` with chemical tweaks? In which case, is there any merit in saying one is `better` overall than another? Does availablity/price have an overwhelming part to play in the recommendation of one product over another?

:hide:

icu812
07-01-2006, 06:31 AM
it`s a personal choice as to which product is the best

and a finacial choice to which product to buy

some things are a fad like parachute pants in the 80`s

and some things are here to stay like Levi blue jeans

Big Leegr
07-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Bob thinks it should be more glossy, Dave thinks it should offer improved protection etc. Their ideas are technically/chemically opposed, so an amicable solution is technically impossible.

Are we all using the same `basic recipe` with chemical tweaks? In which case, is there any merit in saying one is `better` overall than another?

Well, if I want more gloss, then I will like "Bob`s" better, and as such, I think there is merit in saying one is better than the other "for glossiness." If Durability is the key desire, then it would be worth mentioning that "Dave`s" is "better" than "Bob`s" for durability.

The tweaks make the products different enough (in your scenario, at least) to warrant buying one over the other.

My thoughts, at least.

wannafbody
07-01-2006, 10:54 AM
some products are atraight sealants and offer good looks and great durability and others are blends that offer better looks and less durability. There`s always a bit of a trade off.

Accumulator
07-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Heh heh, this thread brings to mind the Meguiar brothers/Meguiar`s vs. FinishKare ;)

D3mon
07-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, if I want more gloss, then I will like "Bob`s" better, and as such, I think there is merit in saying one is better than the other "for glossiness." If Durability is the key desire, then it would be worth mentioning that "Dave`s" is "better" than "Bob`s" for durability.

The tweaks make the products different enough (in your scenario, at least) to warrant buying one over the other.

My thoughts, at least.

Hmm.. I guess that part of the question did kinda answer itself. :D

How about the possibility that all these products are 95% the same and have a common historical origin?