PDA

View Full Version : cleaning leather that most products can`t

GroovinPickle
06-30-2006, 04:28 PM
I`ve got some dirty spots on the rear (leather) seats of my M3. After a day at the track I typically throw my race wheels/tires in garbage bags and put them in the back seats. Somehow it`s gotten those seats dirty in spots.

First I tried Lexol cleaner on them. No luck. Then I tried an 8:1 mixture of warm water and Woolite. Looking at the cloth after scrubbing hard, this may have lifted a little dirt out, but the seats are still obviously dirty when viewed under decent light. What are my other options without having to resort to something overly abrasive?

GroovinPickle
07-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Any input? Would a soft brush help me any here, or do I simply need a more aggressive product? The leather is in great shape aside from these spots of dirt/stain.

natebood
07-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Several people have used a magic eraser with a woolite mixture with good results.

imported_Larry A
07-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Our detailer uses a 3M cleaning pad with his cleaning solution.

imported_Larry A
07-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Our detailer uses a 3M cleaning pad with his cleaning solution.

Its the white pad.

ntoddalbert
07-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Woolite (1 part to 6 parts water) and a Microfiber, never tried the Magic Eraser, head on over to slickdeals.net and search for the name, they sent me one free, in fact they sent one to my home, one to work, one to my wife at home and one at her work.

Haven`t had the need to try them yet. I hear they are great on interiors...... Might be worth the buck or so they cost to try, its not going to damage anything.

miked2
07-01-2006, 10:48 PM
I read on one of the vendor web sites that people aren`t agitating stuff on leather as much as they need to to get rid of a lot of dirt. Apparently leather is a lot more durable than people give it credit for. The leather brush this particular site sells is a little wood block with rather stiff nylon bristles. Meg`s interior brush has stiff bristles on one side that they recommend for leather.

In any case, I did have a nasty stain on some leather, and I used a wet cloth to apply some Lexol cleaner, and then agitated like crazy with both the wood block brush and the Meg`s interior brush. Got out the stain no probs. I then "rinsed" by using a clean wet cloth. After drying, the stain was removed, and the leather was no worse for the wear . . . .

finerdetails
07-02-2006, 01:48 AM
I use Pinnacle Leather cleaner to good effect, works a treat on my house leather suites... which i let our dogs sit on, hey, they live here too lol

GroovinPickle
07-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Looks like several good suggestions. I picked up some Mr. Clean erasers (needed some for the house anyway) and I`ll give that a shot. If there`s no luck there, I`ll try some of the other methods mentioned.

Either way I`ll let y`all know my results.

MrSelfDestruct
07-02-2006, 05:13 PM
I use mildly-agressive nylon brushes on used cars all the time. Leather does need a little aggitation to really get the dirt out.

quamen
07-02-2006, 05:39 PM
detail kings pink stuff cleaner,best cleaner i ever tried for ANYTHING!!