PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Alloys

Flynn
06-30-2006, 01:05 PM
A good friend of mine in the UK Mk4 Supra Owners Club (MSOC) has a set of alloy wheels on his Supra which he`s been polishing with Autosol (metal polish). I`ve pointed out to him that this is far far far too aggressive and that he should be treating his wheels pretty much the same as his bodywork. He`s finding that the wheels are tarnishing very quickly after he polishes them.

Apparently his wheels don`t have a clearcoat on them and therefore they need some protection.

Can someone suggest the best way to protect alloy wheels which don`t have any clearcoat on them?

imported_themightytimmah
06-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Klasse AIO/SG X3.

jmsc
06-30-2006, 03:47 PM
A durable sealant (Klasse or Zaino) is the way to go. Don`t bother with carnauba unless its Collinite.

imported_Totoland Mach
06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
For my alloys, I polish with a cotton buffing wheel on a drill + Mother`s Billet Cream or Meguiar`s NXT Metal Polysh.

After polishing, I apply a coat of Meguiars M21 or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant for some protection.

I typically do this 3-4 times per year (depending upon car shows I`m attending). The sealant adds some protection and slickness against brake dust.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Wheel_Closeup_resized.jpg

Flynn
07-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I shall pass it on.