PDA

View Full Version : 3M Finesse it II just not getting it done...

Cosmom3
06-29-2006, 06:22 PM
So it seems this product isnt working all that great for me. Im just not able to get these light swirls out with it. I used this on black mustangs for instance, and with a couple pass`s wah lah, no more. But with my black bavarian made m3 noo...of course not.

So...which product can I depend on to get out my swirls out? Also, for even deeper scratches swirls what would be the product to get, thats safe of course.

Thanks a bunch :hifive:

imported_Amused
06-29-2006, 06:34 PM
What kind of pad are you using...brand...color(cut level)...size? Which machine are you using and at what speed setting? Also, would you be able to post a picture of what you`re trying to correct? More clues would help. You might also want to check out the "Click`n`Brag" section and search for M3s. I know there have been a handful of recent M3 details that you may want to take cues from.

MrSelfDestruct
06-29-2006, 06:52 PM
3M Perfect-it 3000 Swirl Mark remover is their newest stuff... it`s all I use and works awsome. I use the waffle foam pads. If the scratches are real deep I`ll start off with the 06060 Extra Cut rubbing compound and wool pad.

RogueM3
06-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Ive used 3M FI2 on both an orange pad and a white pad on the PC set to 4 for polishing with an occasional bump to 5...I have always been satisfied with the results. (orange was for deeper swirls, white for more minial defects)

ActionPack
06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Maybe a dumb question...but how hold is your bottle?...has the product separated?..

I have used this product both by hand and with a random orbit polisher and always had great success specially on my previous black toyota and that car was a PITA for swirls and scratches. Every and any little defect on that paint stuck out like a sore thumb :( . One thing i did notice when using it, is that when i forgot to shake the bottle before use, it seamed to be much less efficient..but again maybe its just me... :nixweiss

Accumulator
06-30-2006, 08:59 AM
MrSelfDestruct- IIRC, you`re using that with a rotary, right? IIRC#2 CosmoM3 is using a PC.

I won`t be doing my `97 for a while yet so I don`t know just what to recommend.

The FI-II is a true "medium" polish IMO. Not aggressive enough for serious (quick) correction, not fine enough for final polishing in many cases.

With my PI-III RC 05933 getting hard to find (check autobody/paint supply places), I guess I`d recommend Hi-Temp`s Medium Cut, but yeah, see what others have used :nixweiss

Cosmom3
07-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for responses guys, had a track day and karting racing the last couple days so I havent been able to keep tags on my thread :tumblewee

I have no pictures because after using the product and only getting 75% of the swirls out I put it away. :grrr However the product has been quite useful with other vehicles :hm I was very agitated today with my dilema and picked up some meguiars #4 , but most likly will just use on my sisters deeply swirled suburu 92 I believe. :ignore

So these swirls look very light to me, why am I not being able to remove them fully? Its the only car Ive been stumped on...and its mine! :bawling:

I work in the product with an Orange 6 inch pad at speed 4, and than bump up to 5 1/2 till it becomes dusty. But no matter how many pass`s Im still not acheiving my goals :nervous2:

Accumulator: I`ll try and find this stuff PI-III RC 05933 , seems you wouldnt reccomend somthing unless it was effective, thanks

Accumulator
07-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Heh heh, I *still* haven`t started on my E36 so I still don`t know what`s gonna work...but the 05933 really is about as aggressive as I`d go by PC. That Meg`s #4 is a *rotary only* product, the PC won`t break it down the way it`s supposed to be broken down- *NO WAY* would I try that by PC on anything you care about, seriously.

Using a 4" pad setup on the PC will make it *much* more effective/aggressive. The only way *I* can do real correction by PC is with the 4" pads.

There a few products like the Hi-Temp stuff, but IMO the combo of 05933/4" pad is about as aggressive as the PC can get.

You might look HERE (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yhst-69137106204828/3m.html) if you can`t find it locally. It really is *that* good, even if it`s still mild for this job I`d hate to not have some on hand. I`d get some 05937 too. I`m a broken record, but *man* do I like those two products!

Hope you had fun on the track! I finally got my M back from the shop, it`s *so* weird driving one with an automatic :o I keep going to shift and, uhm, oh yeah...no clutch pedal.

I do plan to start on mine later this week. I won`t be going for absolute perfection, just "a lot better" so IMO whatever I end up doing will be a pretty sensible approach for normal people who`re actually gonna drive in the real world. I`m *very* conscious of the fact that mine has been "polished out" before and I sure don`t want to take off too much of the little clear that`s left. We`ll see what I end up having to use- I`m planning on using the 05933 for most of the work.

Cosmom3
07-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Sweeet, looks like #4 is going back :cool:

I was in a serious state of frustration and took it out on my wallet :bolt I`ll check out these products you have recomended, and let me know how your car goes :buffing:

RogueM3
07-02-2006, 04:29 PM
I`d get some 05937 too. I`m a broken record, but *man* do I like those two products!

Which product is the 05937? I couldnt find it in the online store you linked to.

Would you say the 05933 is about as abrasive as Optimum Compound? If not, how would you compare them?

FYI, for those looking for the 05933, here is a direct link: http://yhst-69137106204828.stores.yahoo.net/mmm31.html