PDA

View Full Version : Bird Lime

Taubs
06-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Having used KSG with P21S as an LSP I would have expected pretty good protection against the corrosive effects of Bird lime. I have just QD`d the hood which had two fairly small areas of bird lime and noticed that while it had only been there a day at most that it had already started to etch the clearcoat.

Once removed, does the clearcoat damage "harden" ie, will it become less visible over time, or do I need to go back and clay it, polish it, seal it......

Was I naive to believe that the preparation described above should have protected against the corrosion

appreciate the advice.

BTW - Car is BMW Black Sapphire Metallic. Is BMW clearcoat particularly soft?

Taubs
07-07-2006, 07:45 AM
sorry to revive this thread - I`d really like your advice.. Should the treatment have given better protection?

imported_steveo3002
07-07-2006, 08:21 AM
okay from my experiance bird poop will often cause etchings in a very short time regardless of what wax/sealant you have

no the mark wont improve over time, yes you need to re polish and seal it

DaGonz
07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Etching from bird poop/crap/guano depends on the temperature. On a cold winter day, it will etch a lot slower, thereby giving you time to remcve it safely.

In the hot summer sun.... :soscared: it can etch within minutes. :soscared:

I carry a bottle of QD and a few microfibers in my vehicles at all times just for such an emergency!

imported_steveo3002
07-07-2006, 08:47 AM
also depends on what bird and what its eaten...some time its doesnt mark after a few days